Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
python 1.x
how many of you started with python on a version before 2.0?  for those who did, at what version did you start? how was the migration forward? are you using 3.x today?
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I currently use Python 2.5
Currently 3.5.2. I think I started with 2.2. Before that I was a php dork, and hated every second of it.
Don't even know
I started with Python 1.4 but the 1.5.x series came out shortly so most of my early work was done on 1.5.2. 

Some historical comments, with probably a few errors....

When 2.0 was released, it included support for Unicode as a separate data type. 2.1 and 2.2 included many other new features but also started the discussions about maintaining backwards compatibility. These discussions led to the introduction of "from __future__ import <blah>" as the method to introduce new features that could introduce incompatibilities. In some cases, the new feature became the default in the next release. "as" became a reserved word around the 2.3/2.4 timeframe. It was first introduced via the __future__ mechanism and then became a reserved word. (And yes, the change broke one of my programs.)

The change in behavior of int/int was (somewhat) controversial. The risks for quietly changing a program were considered to high so the default behavior was never changed in the 2.x series. The also started the concept of a Python 3.0 release that could break the backwards compatibility guarantee.

I now use Python 2.7, 3.3, 3.4, 3.5 and 3.6 for testing. Any serious programs are written for 3.x

p.s. I still have a copy of the "Internet Programming in Python" book that was co-authored by Guido van Rossum.
I first use python in the early nineties. I didn't have a targeted application as almost everything I did had to be super fast (telecom).
My trial didn't last too long because I had little spare time back then. After I would leave work, I'd connect through Virtual Private Network
and work until my wife came in and forced me to go to bed. We were just starting our company so worked 7 days a week, probably 16 hours a day.

I then abandoned it until 2013. Been with it since