Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 Reasons to use Python 3
I started C early 80's. And stayed with it as well but later wrote major 'systems' in a combination of both (c and C++).
when I used C for hash tables etc, but C++ for any presentation work. I also did a lot of embedded work
where I used C almost exclusively, and some assembler as well.

I tried above to distinguish differences, not similarities between the two language families.
(May-12-2017, 03:06 AM)Skaperen Wrote:
(May-11-2017, 10:12 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: Remember the C to C++ resistance.
In the end it turned out that C was best for certain things, like embedded code, or drivers
and C++ for others
The difference with the python 2, python 3 resistance is that I think in the end the clear winner
will be Python 3 (unless you're the author of a certain book).

C -> C++ is not the same as Py2 -> Py3.  I got up to speed on py2 but switched to py3 as soon as i finally understood the string vs. bytes issue enough to use it.  but i stayed with C and never went to C++ for anything.  to me, C -> C++ is like Py -> Perl.

When you do GUIs you have to use "object" techniques to keep it manageable. So it's either built-in with C++ or you have to fake it in C. And the C++ compiler will catch errors that C won't catch...
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
(May-12-2017, 04:37 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: I started C early 80's. And stayed with it as well but later wrote major 'systems' in a combination of both (c and C++).
when I used C for hash tables etc, but C++ for any presentation work. I also did a lot of embedded work
where I used C almost exclusively, and some assembler as well.

I tried above to distinguish differences, not similarities between the two language families.

i started IBM 370 assembler in June 1972 on an IBM System360 model 75 and C in March 1982 on a Decsystem20 model 2060.  i never did any C on IBM systems and never did any assembler on DEC systems.  i did. once, build most of my existing C code on a Linux Debian install running on a Hercules emulator running on a Sun Sparcstation 85 running OpenBSD.

i avoided C++ and glad i did.

i wrote my own AVL binary search tree in C but never ended up doing it in assembler.  i wish i had.

the Decsystem20 has a 36 bit word which was fun in C.  char was genuine 7-bit and 5 of them were packed into a 36 bit word.  that slowed down single char writing.  long was -34359738368 .. 34359738367.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Quote:i started IBM 370 assembler in June 1972 on an IBM System360 model 75
BAL remember it well
Though I used more Easycoder on Honeywell machines beginning in 1968

First taste of C was at Bell Labs, then on sun workstations
in 1991 worked C on VMS on large DEC mainframe. can't remember model
The search algorithm I wrote for (then) Litel communications was in C.
It was a search designed for call record processing at a very early stage (immediately after bit stream from network
was converted to 'byte' format, and before main billing operations). It was for finding Customer records based on NPA. NXX and LATA
and had to process no less that 80 million records (many transactions each) per 24 hour period.
And was indexed by hash table based on the npa, nxx, lala combo, with lateral collision expansion.
(May-12-2017, 09:45 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: When you do GUIs you have to use "object" techniques to keep it manageable. So it's either built-in with C++ or you have to fake it in C. And the C++ compiler will catch errors that C won't catch...

i have used "object techniques" in non-OO languages like C and assembler.  remember the original C++ compiler output C code.  these languages can catch anything you code them to catch.  ok, that did mean a lot more coding to do.  but i was not afraid.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
Well, I am not a programmer and I do not write GUI apps so far.
I almost forgot C.
I believe that how you learn to program matters. I heard that the Java guys write classes for everything for example. Habits are hard to overcome.
I do not care if one language is faster or suitable than other. My time is what is more valuable for me. This is the major reason why I use Python
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
In some applications, minute increases in time are critical especially if the routine
being performed is happening millions of times.
For example when you are capturing packets on a network, it could mean missing
packets, causing naks and forcing the sender to re-send the packet.
In the worst cases, slowing data flow to a crawl.

In other applications, say an accounts receivable program, it's doesn't matter.
Even then, it's still a good practice to care.
If I need speed I will eventually use C to bind it to Python.
I have used gmpy2 which is written in C for performance.
Bit still is Python code
the soviets built a computer way back in the 60's with a 48-bit word. for its day it's was a damn fast machine intended for scientific work.  there are still a couple of them running today.  no virtual memory else i'd like to see Linux and/or BSD ported to it.  i was trying to find out if it has a C compiler.  it does have Fortran and Algol.

They are manufacturing  their own CPUs - Elbrus
http://technizine.com/russian-developmen...rocessors/