Python Forum
3.6.4 windows 64 bit version
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
3.6.4 windows 64 bit version
I am new to this. I am trying to get the 64 bit version but I am only getting offered the 32 bit version. I'm running Windows 10 professional version 1709 with Intel I5 6400 cpu. Any ideas please?
I am assuming that you are talking about the python interpreter.

I run windows 7, so not sure about windows 10, you may have to modify the following somewhat.
You may have to completely uninstall python, and re-install.
there may be several reasons. Check all of the following:
  • First make sure you are running 64 bit windows, click Start, then right click computer, then properties.
  • Also make sure the CPU is as stated by the seller, in rare occasions, you may have been fooled.
  • On the page that comes up, make sure your OS is 64 bit.
  • If not showing 64 bit windows, reinstall 64 bit windows.
  • Navigate to python.org-->Downloads.
  • Don't click on the Download 3.6.4 button, but look below and click on Python 3.6.4 under 'Looking for a specific release?'
  • Navigate down to the Files section and download Windows x86-64 web-based installer
  • Run installer, follow the following installation instructions, make sure you select to set environment variables (if you want this version to run when typing python.

This should get it loaded properly.
Try here:
https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-364/

Files: Windows x86-64
(Jan-19-2018, 11:00 AM)j.crater Wrote: Try here:
https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-364/

Files: Windows x86-64

Thanks - I've been on that page before, but the only Windows 64 bit installer I can see is for AMD processors not Intel. Unless I'm reading it wrong?

Silly me - I was reading it wrong - I never got past AMD to see x64 a few character further on!! Sorry

(Jan-19-2018, 10:59 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: I am assuming that you are talking about the python interpreter.

I run windows 7, so not sure about windows 10, you may have to modify the following somewhat.
You may have to completely uninstall python, and re-install.
there may be several reasons. Check all of the following:
  • First make sure you are running 64 bit windows, click Start, then right click computer, then properties.
  • Also make sure the CPU is as stated by the seller, in rare occasions, you may have been fooled.
  • On the page that comes up, make sure your OS is 64 bit.
  • If not showing 64 bit windows, reinstall 64 bit windows.
  • Navigate to python.org-->Downloads.
  • Don't click on the Download 3.6.4 button, but look below and click on Python 3.6.4 under 'Looking for a specific release?'
  • Navigate down to the Files section and download Windows x86-64 web-based installer
  • Run installer, follow the following installation instructions, make sure you select to set environment variables (if you want this version to run when typing python.

This should get it loaded properly.

THanks for your help. I was being stupid. I can see what I was reading wrong now!
You were not being stupid, there is quite a confusion with CPU architecture names. AMD is in name there because they developed the 64 bit architecture (or specification?), which was then also adopted by Intel =)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Default python version on Windows (3.6.x vs 3.6.y) gramakri 1 2,460 May-04-2019, 10:36 PM
Last Post: snippsat