Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
3D engines
Have recently installed ratcave which I hope to use alongside pygame . Haven't really looked at it yet but thought I would see if anybody else had tried it or in your opinion would I be better off jumping straight in with Panda3D.
Panda3D is not made for beginners. If I remind right, they write this in their own documentation. So if you want to use this framework, you should know how Python works. It depends on your level. I guess a beginner will have more fun with PyGame/Turtle.

But if you're not a beginner and know how 3D works, you can make very nice things with it. For example you can do simulations.
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!
What is your goal, and how important is Python to you?

Unless your goal is to build your own engine and learn how it all works, I'd suggest using something that's a little more "batteries included". Like Godot, Unreal, or Unity.

Godot is open source, and is adding new features at an exceptionally rapid rate: https://godotengine.org/

On the other hand, if your goal is to eventually work at a game studio, you would be best served learning either Unreal or Unity, as those tools are either used by the big companies, or structured very similarly to how their internal tools are.
Thanks for the input I'm not totally new to programming 3d as have some experience using App Game Kit but have decided to change over to Python after about a year . Written a few 3d games and want to do the same with python. I've been playing around with python about 2 months so still plenty to learn . I've got pygame and ratcave ready to make a start but am thinking maybe I should just learn panda 3d and miss out the middle man .Although Panda 3d does look a little daunting. Thanks for the advice once again .
I would get a good foundation with python by using pygame first before moving to Panda3D.
Recommended Tutorials:
Have a look at some 2d and 3d game tutorials from Attila Toth
Ok gonna take the general advice on here and write a couple of programs using pygame for now . I think I'm progressing with python at a not too bad rate . Thanks and gonna check out those tutorials by Attila Toth.