Python Forum
3rd Party Modules - Installing
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd Party Modules - Installing
Dear all,

I tried to download + install some 3rd party Python modules* using PIP, but everyone of the them failed.
It is really frustrating to install Python 3rd party modules.

The last error message for Openpyxl was "permission denied: 'c:\\program files\\python35-32\\lib\\site-packages\\jdcal.py".

Can anybody help please?
Is there any alternative way to download 3rd party modules ?

Thank you in advance.

Martyl

* such as Openpyxl, etc.
How are you using pip?
Please post an example of how you try to load, and error messages received.
standard would be:
pip install jdcal
which is called from the command line, not from python shell
(Jun-13-2018, 02:18 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: How are you using pip?
Please post an example of how you try to load, and error messages received.
standard would be:
pip install jdcal
which is called from the command line, not from python shell

Hello Larz60+,

Thank you very much for your reply.

No, I didn't do it from Python shell, I did it using the DOS Command Prompt.
I issued "Pip install Openpyxl" command within the "Scripts" folder of
the Python directory

Recently I reinstalled Windows on my PC because of a PC problem, I remember I
succeeded in installing Openpyxl before I reinstalled Windows, at that time
I didn't use PIP, I did it using the Setup.py file. But now I can't remember the
steps I followed.

By the way, how did you issue the command? Which editor are you using?

Thanks
Martyl
that's the correct command what was the error?
Since you reinstalled windows, did you also reinstall python?
I just reread your first post, permission denied means you're trying to install
in a restricted (to you) directory.
(Jun-13-2018, 03:59 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: that's the correct command what was the error?
Since you reinstalled windows, did you also reinstall python?

The last line of the error messages was "permission denied: 'c:\\program files\\python35-32\\lib\\site-packages\\jdcal.py".

Yes, I reinstalled Python.

Is there an alternative way to import 3rd party modules?

Thanks.
If there is a wheel, you can use that, 'pip install wheel name'
for example, jdcal has: https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/...ne-any.whl
(Jun-13-2018, 01:46 AM)martyl Wrote: he last error message for Openpyxl was "permission denied:
You most run cmd as Administrator.
(Jun-13-2018, 01:46 AM)martyl Wrote: The last error message for Openpyxl was "permission denied: 'c:\\program files\\python35-32\\lib\\site-packages\\jdcal.py".

It is probably a bad idea to install Python underneath the 'program files' folder. I agree with Lars60+ that you are probably trying to access a folder restricted to you. snippsat's suggestion to 'run as administrator' will probably work but you will probably have similar problems in the future.

My suggestion is to uninstall Python, and reinstall it exactly according to snippsat's excellent instructions (which include installing Python in 'c:\Python36' or equivalent): https://python-forum.io/Thread-Basic-Par...er-Windows

Lewis
To paraphrase: 'Throw out your dead' code. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs Forward to 1:00
(Jun-13-2018, 12:23 PM)ljmetzger Wrote:
(Jun-13-2018, 01:46 AM)martyl Wrote: The last error message for Openpyxl was "permission denied: 'c:\\program files\\python35-32\\lib\\site-packages\\jdcal.py".

It is probably a bad idea to install Python underneath the 'program files' folder. I agree with Lars60+ that you are probably trying to access a folder restricted to you. snippsat's suggestion to 'run as administrator' will probably work but you will probably have similar problems in the future.

My suggestion is to uninstall Python, and reinstall it exactly according to snippsat's excellent instructions (which include installing Python in 'c:\Python36' or equivalent): https://python-forum.io/Thread-Basic-Par...er-Windows

Lewis

Thank you very much for the advice, let me try reinstalling Python.
(Jun-14-2018, 01:20 AM)martyl Wrote:
(Jun-13-2018, 12:23 PM)ljmetzger Wrote: It is probably a bad idea to install Python underneath the 'program files' folder. I agree with Lars60+ that you are probably trying to access a folder restricted to you. snippsat's suggestion to 'run as administrator' will probably work but you will probably have similar problems in the future.

Lewis

Yes, I got Openpyxl imported this time!
This is after I reinstalled Python at c:\Python36-32.
You are right, I need it installed at c:\Python36-32. You and Lars60+ are both awesome,
thank you so much!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Running 3rd party libs on Steam Deck (Arch Linux) with restricted access metulburr 0 1,838 Jan-07-2023, 10:41 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  Installing Modules PythonBorg 10 2,050 Sep-03-2022, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PythonBorg
Question Trouble installing modules/libraries and getting Notepad++ to show cyrillic letters Dragiev 6 2,244 Jul-24-2022, 12:55 PM
Last Post: Dragiev
  Avoid third party functions to wrote my python code into system debug-log? mark 9 2,198 Apr-09-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: mark
  How to use a function from third party library? rrowhe4d 2 1,854 Aug-31-2021, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Installing Modules / packages Oshadha 1 1,701 Feb-05-2021, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Jeff900
  Did interpreter 'compile' all import modules(from thrid-party) jamesyuan 10 4,283 Oct-19-2020, 10:49 AM
Last Post: jamesyuan
  installing third-party modules shabux 5 3,429 Apr-13-2020, 12:41 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  How to detect third party packages used in the code SriRajesh 5 2,964 Sep-21-2019, 05:59 AM
Last Post: ndc85430
  pip and installing modules deep_logic 2 6,062 Jun-25-2017, 03:23 AM
Last Post: deep_logic