Python Forum
ARDUINO via Python: Dissapointing
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARDUINO via Python: Dissapointing
Hello,

This is a library recommendation....

I recently delved back into my Arduino that's been collecting dust. Being familiar with the robust community and reputation Python has, i was sure there would be support for an Arduino. I was shockingly disappointed. Pyfirmata barely works (when it does) and PySerial is simply way too low level to be of any value to Arduino projects.

Point being, the language would definitely be improved with a solid Arduino module that is robust and supported. After all, Python is allegedly marked at being great for "Science" and "Engineering". The Arduino is extremely popular controller for entry level Engineering/Prototyping/Studying and C++ is like learning to read hieroglyphics while blind - its ugly to put it mildly... This would bring some good new eyes to the Python community. Coupling the current powers of Python with the ability to control and Arduino would open endless doors for many.

Something to consider for the big time devs out there!

Back to hieroglyphics ;)
Best regards!
first of all - it's not us that you should address.

That being said, a few points to consider:
1. Developing a solid (in your words) ARDUINO module is not to be expected by core developers team. It may be popular controller, but it doesn't warrant inclusion in the Standard Library. One of strong sides of python is it's extensibility and everyone can write and distribute a package.
2. It can be argued that ARDUINO has also vested interest and they may develop a python API (or at least a python wrapper around existing one) if they feel there is need or strong interest from community. Many companies do so.
3. ARDUINO community may also invest time and efforts to develop such solid ARDUINO module. After all, who else would do that and has more interest of developing it? Python universe is full of such examples. Why would ARDUINO community differ? They/you are the ones that know what would serve best. Why don't YOU start such project. If you are right - it will be a big hit and probably other developers will join to contribute. As you put it now - why not somebody develop a better python package for ARDUINO - it is more question for ARDUINO community, not python community in general.
4.I guess you face a trade-off - between low-level module as PySerial and how did you put it - learning to read hieroglyphics while blind - its ugly to put it mildly... . I know what I will choose if I was in your shoes.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Controlling an Arduino with Python cubangt 5 1,732 Mar-21-2022, 06:13 PM
Last Post: cubangt