Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add stdout to text file
Alright, I've tried a great many thing to try to get this to work. This iteration is the closest I've gotten to success. What I'm trying to do is write two lines, and only two lines, to a text file and then create a new file. The format is as such:

file1.txt
file 'C:\path\to\audiofile1.wav'
file 'C:\path\to\audiofile2.wav'

I'm using ffprobe to analyze an undetermined amount of audio tracks and essentially sort them by track length. I was at first trying to write the output ffprobe straight to the text file, but every out put was overwriting the first line and there would only be one file with one line, the last track in the directory. So then I tried to send the output of ffprobe to an array and print that to a text file. That works a little better, but either I only write 1 line to 1 file, or the entire array to only 1 file. Here's my code. I'm exhausted right now, I'll answer any questions and supply more code if you need. You'll see some bits commented out. I tend to leave those in there while I think about what I might change.

clipOrig = "D:\\path\\to\\audio\\files"
os.chdir(clipOrig)

current_files = glob.glob("sFile*.txt")
file_count = 1
file = open(f"sFile{file_count}.txt", "w")

while f"sFile{file_count}.txt" in current_files:
    file_count += 1
arr = []
def write_file():
    global file_count, count
    count = sum(1 for line in open(f"sFile{file_count}.txt"))
    # count = 1
    if(count == 2):
        file_count +=1
        count = 1
    else:
        for i in arr:
            print("file ", f"'{i}'", "\n", file=text_file)
            count += 1

for f in os.listdir():
    ffprobe = subprocess.check_output(['ffprobe', '-v', 'quiet', '-show_entries', 'format=duration', '-of', 'csv=p=0', '-i', f], stderr=subprocess.PIPE, stdin=subprocess.PIPE).decode('utf-8').rstrip()
    with open(f"sFile{file_count}.txt", "w") as text_file:
        if float(ffprobe) < 35:
            ffilename = subprocess.check_output(['ffprobe', '-v', 'quiet', '-show_entries', 'format=filename', '-of', 'csv=p=0', '-i', f]).decode('utf-8').rstrip()
            arr.append(f"{clipOrig}\\{ffilename}")
        else:
            print("false")

write_file()
I would move the with statement on line 25 outside of the for loop on line 23. It overwrites because you open it each time and write it anew. Open it once an you won't be writing over it each time.

Another thing you can do is open it in mode 'a' (append) rather than mode 'w' (write). Then it will write without writing over.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Jan-28-2019, 03:57 AM)ichabod801 Wrote: I would move the with statement on line 25 outside of the for loop on line 23. It overwrites because you open it each time and write it anew. Open it once an you won't be writing over it each time.

Another thing you can do is open it in mode 'a' (append) rather than mode 'w' (write). Then it will write without writing over.

This certainly helped! Thank you, I knew there was one small dumb thing I was missing. So now I'm at this point where I'm writing correctly to a file and only the first two tracks. I thought I would use text_file.close() to close the file to start a new one when the correct number of lines has been written. But then I get ValueError: I/O operation on closed file., which makes sense because, duh!, the file is closed. So how would I then start a new file for the next cycle? Take a look at the modified code:

Note*: I added the print() lines to the if/else statement for debugging.

clipOrig = "C:\\path\\to\\audio\\files"

os.chdir(clipOrig)

current_files = glob.glob("..\\wrkDir\\sFile*.txt")
file_count = 0
sFile = f"..\\wrkDir\\sfile{file_count}.txt"
file = open(sFile, "a")
count = sum(1 for line in open(sFile))

while f"..\\wrkDir\\sfile{file_count}.txt" in current_files:
    file_count += 1

def write_file():
    global file_count, count
    if(count > 1):
        file_count +=1
        print("count is: ", count)
        print("file Count is: ", file_count)
        count = 0
        text_file.close()
    else:
        text_file.write("file ")
        text_file.write(f"'{clipOrig}\\{ffilename}'")
        text_file.write("\n")
        count += 1
        print("else triggered, count is: ", count)
        print("Else triggered, File Count is: ", file_count)

with file as text_file:
    for f in os.listdir():
        ffprobe = subprocess.check_output(['ffprobe', '-v', 'quiet', '-show_entries', 'format=duration', '-of', 'csv=p=0', '-i', f], stderr=subprocess.PIPE, stdin=subprocess.PIPE).decode('utf-8').rstrip()
        if float(ffprobe) < 35:
            ffilename = subprocess.check_output(['ffprobe', '-v', 'quiet', '-show_entries', 'format=filename', '-of', 'csv=p=0', '-i', f]).decode('utf-8').rstrip()
            write_file()
        else:
            print("false")
I figured this out a while ago. Thought I would share the solution for future browsers/google searchers:

file_count = 0
count = 0

def write_file():
    global file_count, count, sfile
    if(count > 0):
        call_close()
        file_count += 1
        count = 0
    else:
        call_close()
        count += 1

def call_close():
    global file_count, ffilename
    with open(f"{wrkDir}\\sfile{file_count}.txt", "a+") as text_file:
        text_file.write("file ")
        text_file.write(f"'{clipOrig}\\{ffilename}'")
        text_file.write("\n")
        text_file.close()

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [subprocess] Why stdout sent to stderr? Winfried 3 418 Jan-26-2024, 07:26 PM
Last Post: snippsat
Thumbs Up Need to compare the Excel file name with a directory text file. veeran1991 1 1,063 Dec-15-2022, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Performance options for sys.stdout.writelines dgrunwal 11 2,995 Aug-23-2022, 10:32 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  Modify values in XML file by data from text file (without parsing) Paqqno 2 1,575 Apr-13-2022, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Paqqno
  Converted Pipe Delimited text file to CSV file atomxkai 4 6,842 Feb-11-2022, 12:38 AM
Last Post: atomxkai
  [split] How to convert the CSV text file into a txt file Pinto94 5 3,247 Dec-23-2020, 08:04 AM
Last Post: ndc85430
  changing stdout and stderr Skaperen 4 2,644 Dec-02-2020, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Saving text file with a click: valueerror i/o operation on closed file vizier87 5 4,325 Nov-16-2020, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  saving data from text file to CSV file in python having delimiter as space K11 1 2,354 Sep-11-2020, 06:28 AM
Last Post: bowlofred
  Get stdout of a running process yok0 0 2,975 Aug-20-2020, 10:12 AM
Last Post: yok0