Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ipv6 addresses
while reading through documentation of module ipaddress, i realized a situation i have had which could use some other kind of ipv6 processing. this module seems to be thorough at checking for invalid ipv6 addresses. what i am looking for is some methods or functions that can process invalid ipv6 strings and try to guess what the intended address(es) might be, like returning a list of address objects that are candidates. other processing could give the position where thing go bad. one common error i have seen is ":::" where it should be "::" (this is easy to fix) and two "::" in the string (harder to fix even when it is fixable).

another usage i have seen is use cases where partial ipv6 addresses need to be validated to combine those part to make a complete address, such as appending a local 64-bit part to a 64-bit network prefix. and there are possible cases of different sizes or even 3 or 4 pats to combine. combining the strings rarely works.

anyone seen any stuff like that?

for example you might get an expression like "::f00:ba5" for the lower 64-bits of an address which could be perfectly valid.

address mistakes that might want to be corrected can include using "o" for "0" and "l" for "1" in both ipv4 and ipv6 (easy to fix).
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  extracting embedded IP addresses Skaperen 3 2,172 Aug-30-2019, 08:09 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  regex for addresses, dates, and times metulburr 2 2,267 Jun-29-2019, 01:11 AM
Last Post: ichabod801