Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Annoyance - Newer version of pygame
You know what really grinds my gears?
>>> import pygame
pygame 1.9.4
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
>>>
Anything written which uses pygame, infects stdout with this. Unacceptable behavior for a library.
Wow, yeah, that's nasty. You could do shenanigans to capture stdin before import, but you shouldn't have to.
Shocked
I havent used the newer pygame versions yet. But it would not shock me that they do something like this. It took them 3+ years to remove their crappy hifi website and its horrible UI system, unnecessary music player at the header, etc. from their main page. Who puts a music player at the header of your website with no toplinks and scroll from left to right? I mean pygame.org initially went there for 3+ years and people coundnt find documentation or how to download pygame. They fought us tooth and nail and the community even came together to put a decent documentation site up while pygame.org directed to the hifi site. They finally receded and put up a decent main page.

I love pygame, but the people behind it cannot take criticism and do a lot of stupid things. If you open an issue in github, they just close it. If you respond on reddit or their mailing lists they just act like you are offending them.

EDIT:
By the way, i put up an issue, and posted on reddit about this issue. The one guy already hates me for making a mirror of the pygame docs and putting up a stink about the hifi site. The more people that respond about it though, the better chance of them changing it.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Sep-27-2018, 12:48 AM)metulburr Wrote: By the way, i put up an issue, and posted on reddit about this issue. The one guy already hates me for making a mirror of the pygame docs and putting up a stink about the hifi site. The more people that respond about it though, the better chance of them changing it.
Link?
github issue
https://github.com/pygame/pygame/issues/542

reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/pygame/comments...ut_in_194/
Recommended Tutorials:
(Sep-27-2018, 12:48 AM)metulburr Wrote: By the way, i put up an issue, and posted on reddit about this issue. The one guy already hates me for making a mirror of the pygame docs and putting up a stink about the hifi site. The more people that respond about it though, the better chance of them changing it.
I just don't have the energy to argue with Rene or any of them anymore. I will help the occasional person with their Pygame programs but I lost faith in it as a real tool quite a while back. I think it is unfortunately headed for obscurity.

I keep meaning to download and dive into Godot. Seems promising.
(Sep-27-2018, 02:05 AM)Mekire Wrote: I lost faith in it
The next time i make a game, i might just learn another library at this point. I am starting to get burnt out on fighting Rene as well.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Sep-27-2018, 02:05 AM)Mekire Wrote: I keep meaning to download and dive into Godot. Seems promising.
Godot is actually very, very good. With the 3.1 release, they now also have an incredibly powerful 3d renderer, so it isn't just good at 2d games anymore. gdscript is very similar to python, and when they added optional static typing, they made it look like python annotations for no reason other than it's what python does. Every file is saved in plain text, and is easily editable outside the editor if needed (makes saving projects in git super easy).

As much as I like python, there really isn't a good reason to make games with it since Godot exists, unless you're doing it as a learning exercise.

tbh, most of what I use pygame for is the music mixer lol.
(Sep-27-2018, 12:53 AM)metulburr Wrote: reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/pygame/comments...ut_in_194/

I've jumped in the conversation. It doesn't make sense that every single person there is fine with it.
(Sep-27-2018, 03:24 PM)nilamo Wrote: I've jumped in the conversation. It doesn't make sense that every single person there is fine with it.
I find every conversation like this on the internet there will always be people who pop out to defend it, no matter how stupid. Something this simple should be a no brainer; you want the message, add a flag to turn it off. Simple, easy, and everyone will be happy.

I even got down voted for that extreme opinion.