Python Forum
Annoyance - Newer version of pygame
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Annoyance - Newer version of pygame
The question is, though, how do you add a flag to the import statement? It'd almost have to be an environment variable, which is super ugly.
I would see it as you having some sort of conf file that pygame would check the cwd for. Still nasty but it would at least give an option other than "edit the library LOL".
I love how the argument basically boils down to "pygame is Rene's library, he can do whatever he wants with it lol." and "at least it isn't as bad as NPM".

And I'm just like, saying it's slightly better than the worst environment currently in active use, is not an argument that it's good.
yeah i had to stop responding at some point. And i should of stopped long ago. Those two users seem to have more entertainment with arguing for the sake of arguing. The change doesnt even effect them as they dont appear to even use pygame or develop it. Bitcraft on the other hand i do respect his opinion.
Recommended Tutorials:
Quote:yeah i had to stop responding at some point. And i should of stopped long ago. Those two users seem to have more entertainment with arguing for the sake of arguing.
Yeah, it is just too exhausting. I have no clue who those posters are either but they sure seem committed to defending this.

If there is this much backlash trying to change something so minor, and obviously undesirable, imagine how it would be to try to actually contribute to the codebase.
Quote:Bitcraft on the other hand i do respect his opinion.
Not that he and I always see eye to eye, but yeah, I'm surprised he isn't opposed to it. He does at least admit it isn't the most professional thing in the world.

He also might be more tolerant of it as he does some stuff with pymunk and pymunk has always (for as long as I remember) done this:
>>> import pymunk
Loading chipmunk for Windows (32bit) [C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\pymunk\chipmunk.dll]
>>>
ah yeah i was trying to think of the library's name, pymunk. Although i could of sworn it had more output than that. Maybe some of it was logging in PyRoller though. But i couldnt imagine if each library did that, you would have a massive output from all of them together by default. Its just absurd to me.
Recommended Tutorials:
i hate the way reddit does posting. That thread has gotten so long that it is a pain in the ass to find where someone posted a new post anymore. If it is not directly under your post to get a notification, it gets lost in the spaghetti.
Recommended Tutorials:
At the top of a thread, you can click "sort by" to see new things first. That sorts by top-level comments, so it doesn't help if you want to follow a comment chain.
oh wow, you can tell how much im on reddit
Recommended Tutorials:
I practically live there lol