Python Forum
Another journey into the past
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another journey into the past
Being a proud alumnus of the National Radio Institute (circa 1973), a Correspondence School* with a very long history, I thought I'd search online and see if it was still around and if so, what it was up to.  During that search, I came across a .pdf file of one of their later projects, it seems around 1979, for students to build. Sadly, I was unaware of this class until, well, yesterday. It would have been a blast to build. Unfortunately, this doesn't contain the actual schematic, but it does give an in depth description of operation. I don't want to spoil the surprise by telling you exactly what it is, but I'm sure you old timers and maybe even you new timers will chuckle, as I did at where we were 40+ years ago.

Here you go:
Remember When

* For you young folks out there, before the internet, if you were unable to attend or afford a brick and mortar college, you had "Correspondence Schools" which allowed you to continue your education. This involved the school mailing you your lesson, with a test and you in turn mailing back your answers to the exam. If you passed, they would mail the next lesson and test. If you didn't pass you were notified, given a new test and you submitted your new answers. A somewhat time consuming process.  Tongue

EDIT:
Found a site that includes the Product Description (above link), the construction manual and the schematics here:Complete documentation
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
You may like this, and you can do it now. http://www.nand2tetris.org/course.php
I took this course a couple of years ago and had a blast!.
Best of all ... It's FREE!! ...
It includes a fully functional HDL compiler and emulator.

Watch this video: https://youtu.be/JtXvUoPx4Qs it explains the entire course
also a Ted talk on same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE7YRHxwoDs

I did the NRI course and
CREI course back in the late 60's
CREI was expensive, but my dad offered to pay for it, so I jumped at the opportunity!
I think I still have a box full of the NRI books In my junk room, but I may have thrown
them out (which seems like a bad sin now)
Also threw out boxes and boxes of QST going back to the late 40's
I'll check out those links, sounds interesting.

Like you, I thought I had disposed of the NRI books years ago, imagine my surprise when I was going through some old boxes and found the whole course. The thing I remember best about the course was occasionally, without warning, I'd receive a box rather than the usual manila envelope and inside was a complete kit. It was like Christmas in July Big Grin . The final kit was a 2M 50 Watt FM Mobile Transceiver. Egads, by today's standards the thing was a monster. I wonder if that too is in a box? Think
I'm an amateur radio operator, won't give my call here, but loved all the kits.
I built a lot of heathkits as well. CREI was theory only, but a great course.

In the early 70's, I lived in Northern Maine (took a job in Boston, but two weeks later the
company moved their headquarters to their plant in ME).

The winters were long and very cold (as low as -40 F, once as low as -50 F).
I spent one winter next to a wood stove, surrounded by muffin tins, and parts for a
hot water 101. (It's a multiband CW, SSB transceiver for those who don't know). It's
one of my most memorable winters.

It may have been an SB-101 or something like that as I built that as well.
Your talk of correspondence schools made me think of the old play by mail strategy games. You know, multiplayer before massive or online. Lo and behold, they are still in business: http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/pbm.htm
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Jun-21-2017, 06:03 AM)ichabod801 Wrote: Your talk of correspondence schools made me think of the old play by mail strategy games.

I remember playing chess with my Grandfather by mail, while stationed overseas. Gave each of us plenty of time to think about our next moves
Thinking about maine, I went out to google maps to get the following image.
When I was up there, this 'town' used to have a sign that read
population 3, which was often crossed out and changed to 2 or 4 if someone
moved in or left. I see they finally solved the issue: