Python Forum
Any Google Voice users looking for a coding project?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Google Voice users looking for a coding project?
This is my first post on this board so I don't imagine I will be allowed to post links, sorry about that. But if anyone uses Google Voice and/or understands oAuth2 and is looking for a coding project, there is a program called pygooglevoice that many people use to access Google Voice API's. This program is probably going to become even more widely used in a couple of weeks because Google Voice is supposedly discontinuing support of the XMPP protocol in the middle of June. There is a long thread about this in the VoIP forum on the DSLReports site.

The problem with pygooglevoice as it stands is that it authenticates using a username and password, rather than the more secure oAuth2 that Google now favors. That means that every time the Python script logs in, Google thinks it is doing something it shouldn't and if it doesn't lock you out completely, it may send you an email warning that someone logged into your Google Voice account. There is a whole procedure you may have to go through to get it to work, none of which would be necessary if it could authenticate using oAuth2.

Again, I wish I could post links without the possibility of getting flagged, but if you can find the thread "Google Voice XMPP support will go away in June" in the VOIP Tech Chat forum on DSLreports, and look at the posts from May 28, you will see a small discussion about this problem. in that discussion, one guy mentions Python modules(?) google-auth and oauthlib as possible ways to include oAuth2 support. Another poster says, "Watching the debug console in your browser while you are working the Google Voice web site, you will see some undocumented API calls happening. With oauth2 and that API you could update the pygooglevoice client to be more robust."

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about Python - the only computer language I ever learned was BASIC on an old TRS-80 Model I (with 4K of memory, yes that is 4,096 BYTES of memory, BASIC itself was stored in ROM) back in the late 70's and let's put it this way, I wasn't a kid at the time. At my age, I don't pick up new computer languages easily. But I thought that just maybe if I posted here, someone who is up for a bit of a programming challenge might want to fork pygooglevoice and see if you can make it authenticate using oAuth2.
I'm going to see if I can post some pertinent links yet:

pygooglevoice source
Discussion on DSLReports (first three posts shown are pertinent)
Did you check issues in the github repo
https://github.com/pettazz/pygooglevoice/issues/54
it looks they have found workaround by using App Password
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

They way I read that, that guy is saying it might be possible to use an App Password, but that functionality hasn't been coded in yet. He said,

Quote:Adding this feature, login with "App Specific Password", would require it to be coded and tested.

My own opinion is that oAuth2 would be more secure than an "App Specific Password", but I have no idea which would be easier to code.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with coding project jjvoc 4 424 Feb-14-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: jjvoc
  Voice packs for Linux espeak gr3yali3n 0 1,615 Dec-24-2020, 07:42 PM
Last Post: gr3yali3n
  project coding python marcel2807 2 44,237 Dec-18-2020, 08:37 PM
Last Post: LastStopDEVS
  The script won't take voice input ShishirModi 2 1,832 Jul-21-2020, 05:56 AM
Last Post: ShishirModi
  how to import files in Google Collab wihout downloading them to PC and to Google Disk sveto4ka 9 3,801 Jun-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: sveto4ka
  Simulation of Text to speech (without using mic) to Voice recognition suported hardwa Helloworld20 2 2,192 Apr-08-2020, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Helloworld20
  Recommended way to store users,db credentials in a Python project? PrateekG 2 12,232 May-31-2018, 12:22 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  Loging in users google account amankahlon 0 2,404 Apr-13-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: amankahlon
  Error in coding project, any help? XpunksnotdeadX 0 3,032 Feb-08-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: XpunksnotdeadX
  voice assistant python based pyaudio error hardik 6 5,021 Oct-06-2017, 07:29 PM
Last Post: hardik