Python Forum
Any Perl users here?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Perl users here?
As a Perl user (and certainly no expert) I am slowly learning Python, and liking it. I will probably keep perl for text and file processing, but I want to expand my horizons into data and web management, which is clearly Python's forte from what I have seen so far. (Web scraping with only a few lines of code? Freaking astounding! )

That said, I am unfamiliar with some of the more fundamental aspects, usually not mentioned or explained well in the Python texts and videos I have seen.

Particularly package and version management.

Here I have Debian with both Python 3.7 and 2.7 installed. For py2 scripts I just use #!/usr/bin/python2 and likelwise /python3 headers in scripts. All seems well. Is there any reason I would need pyrenv (which appears to be a sandbox)?
Will Python3.5 and 3.6 scripts (and modules)run under 3.7. Can I convert them to? Are there any faqs for replacing version requirements on packages/scripts in the 3.x series to make them run on 3.7?

I ask this because on Win I have a rather large Python 3.5 install and would like to use its modules on 3.7(Anaconda).

Also I am unfamiliar with the /Wheel and /HTTP directories in the User profiles. As a Perl user I see these as just a variation of the useless CPAN/Build directory which cpan purges periodically.

Also I reallly dislike the hex obfuscation, and was wondering if there was a way to get rid of it (I can if necessary script something to symlink package names to the base directory) - but this would not work on /HTTP dir.

I have made a similar inquiry and another thread, which was summarily ignored. Are these questions excruciatingly stoopid???

Cannot seem to edit. Above "Will Perl3.5 and 3.6 scripts" shoulkd, of course be PYTHON instead.
millpond Wrote:Will Python3.5 and 3.6 scripts (and modules)run under 3.7.
Yes they will. New python versions usually don't break old code, the most notable exception being python 3 which broke python 2 code.

Until you feel the need for it, you can very well work without pyenv. I do it most of the time.

I can't tell you about the /Wheel and /HTTP directories. Why not try to remove them?
I did moe them offline to a USB drive, but wanting to make sure it wasnt a mistake to remove the cruft.

Is there any danger from 3.8 code messing up a 3.7 system? I know pip is smart enough to prevent this, but setup.py apparently is not.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  converting Perl to Python Skaperen 3 4,105 Jun-26-2019, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Skaperen