Python Forum
Anyone Willing to Help with a Volunteer Fire Department Timer Script?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Willing to Help with a Volunteer Fire Department Timer Script?
Hi guys,

I'm trying to find someone to write/help write a script that does the following:

1) Checks to see if another instance is already running and kills it (maybe with a PID file)
2) Logs the new process ID for checking next time
3) Immediately upon starting, go full screen with a basic gray background on overlay
4) Immediately to count up in Hours:Minutes:Seconds in big green numbers in the center of the screen
5) Once it reaches 2 minute and 30 seconds (150 seconds), the counter text changes to red in colour
6) After 300 seconds the timer text turns black
6) Continues to count indefinitely until it is killed by the next instance of the program

Basically, it should always appear to be running, with a gray background, though it actually kills the old process and starts a new one when the timer restarts

That's it... This is for a volunteer fire department project. The script will be run by another program when it detects the station tones going off... this other script is called "Two Tone Detect" and is already configured. This is the last piece of the puzzle.

The idea is this:

- Fire station tones go off
- Two Tone Detect recognizes the sound pattern
- Two Tone Detect launches this new timer script
- Timer script runs until the next time tones go off

Basically, this is a "time since last alarm" timer, and within the "Green" is the time limit that the truck should have left the station. It's just for the information and motivation of the firefighters.

I'm hoping someone will be willing to write this for us... I know a bit of PHP, but I have no idea about python GUI, etc.

It's going to be running on a raspberry pi if that makes a difference.
Please verify fire department location

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  email timer/rss feed timer ndiniz 1 2,037 Feb-02-2021, 07:18 PM
Last Post: nilamo
  Python timer script stops before should ozstar 3 2,171 May-04-2020, 12:55 AM
Last Post: ozstar