Python Forum
Anyone use a tablet?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone use a tablet?
I'm thinking of getting a tablet sometime soon. Does anyone have/use one, and how well does Python run on it?
From the little bit of research I've done, it looks like iOS is pretty trash at running non-objective-c programs (though that could be outdated info) (and maybe you still can't transfer files to them, and need to email yourself or use cloud storage since Apple refuses to use usb for some reason).

The Microsoft Surface is an option, though I'd rather avoid paying so much for what is essentially a laptop with a touchscreen.

A secondary desire is the ability to cross compile Rust apps for the tablet, but I think that can work regardless of the tablet's os.
You can't reliably run Python on stock iOS. There's Kivy for Android. Can't speak to MS. I'm also not sure about Rust.

Honestly though tablets for programming sound horrifying to me. I even hate texting, a keyboard is so much faster to me.
Not necessarily programming, but just running things you wrote on other devices.

That, and I think a neat side project could be building a touch-centric editor, with a sidebar/gutter of keywords/variables/functions that you can drag over into the editor.
I have a tablet. I use it almost exclusively for one thing: Reading books.
I have actually come to the point where I would rather read on the tablet than
an actual book.
I have a tablet. I used it for blogging for a while, because it's extremely lightweight, and is easy to work on while riding a bus or train. The screen keyboard was big enough to touch type, if not see much text. I never tried programming on it, and if I was programming for it, I don't think I'd use Python.

As for reading books, I've had a kindle since the Kindle 2 came out, and far prefer it to reading than a book. It doesn't work well for reference books though. I am also finding it doesn't work well for organizing books. And e-book pricing is driving me nuts.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
+1 to ebooks for reading but not reference books. I also use it for browsing Facebook and the like on public transit, with my phone tethered for internet access. Still hate typing on it but the screen space is nice.
i have had numerous Android tablets. (Well Android everything for mobile). The first two i dropped a lot and are no longer with us. Took me awhile to get use to carry around a large 10 inch screen without dropping it for some reason. The latest one seems to have survived the past 3-4 years somehow.

I have successfully created apps (.apk files) using Kivy, however i never got too far into is because i really only use tablets for reading facebook on the shitter, quick browsing the net (assuming i have wifi on the go), etc. In my opinion, the hassle to bypass all the problems was not worth the merit of getting a polished program on the tablet.

I didnt really like the syntax jump of Kivy's language to the point of almost using Java...and then i just said its not worth it. I figure my real coding fun/usage is on the PC, so ill stick with that.

The one time i tried created a useful program for Android....I was trying to make a barcode scanner and reference it back to a website for database. However to actually get the barcode scanner to work IN Android, IN Kivy, IN Python, ON your specific device, is a pain in the ass. And there seems to be only one that worked...AND it was outdated. So the one thing that made the tablet more useful that a PC didnt work out at all.

Other times on Kivy, i would change the button layout, and build the .apk again, move it to my tablet, and it would somehow run the old one though it no longer existed. Never figured that one out, but it was enough to stop me in my tracks. And Kivy's main support is on google group....which i despise. I dont understand those that dont create a forum for their software.

So every time i tried making something in Kivy i usually found myself frustrated and by the end not something as useful. I dont see the tablet/phone as useful as younger people see it, i cant stand typing on soft keyboards, its slow and laggy, and my fingers are too big for the small ones, and the large keyboards take up too much real estate. Working on a phone or tablet with a screen size smaller than 10 inches are impractical. It takes me like 10 times to do the same task it takes me on a desktop. For example ill read this site from my tablet, but when i go to respond, ill move to a desktop to type out a response.

Im sure ill try again making a program on android when i get another idea, but i am pretty sure i set myself up for failure based on my viewpoint of the history of dealing with tablets and python.

(Jun-14-2017, 12:32 AM)micseydel Wrote: +1 to ebooks for reading
This is one thing i was excited about regarding a tablet. Although the pricing doesnt effect me ( Silenced not allowed to speak about such methods). But even after reading ebooks i came to the conclusion that looking at a computer screen all day long, then looking at a tablet for reading doesnt help. I have found myself buying paperbacks because i cant stand looking at a screen when there is an alternative. I much like free books, but i think i like the paperbacks better for sitting down and reading for hours. I also tried the E-readers like Kindle, and that did remove the feeling of reading on a screen....but its not the same. I like the smell of the paper, the ability to not need to recharge, flipping pages of paper instead of pixels, etc. Its one way i can separate myself from technology.

Quote:Not necessarily programming, but just running things you wrote on other devices.
What such other devices? A single program designed to run on Android devices, doesnt just universally run on all android devices. Each and every single device is unique and the program must be designed to work with each and every device model. This is why if you go to the Android Store on two different devices you will not get the same list of programs. They remove from view the programs that are not compatible with your device. However if you downloaded the apk through a PC and uploaded it to your tablet, you will get it start...but most likely it will be full of bugs or crash altogether as that is the reason it wasnt shown to you on the android store. You can get an emulator to test your program on numerous devices...but there are limited ones. You dont get ALL devices, and even then you still have to verify it works on that device. Which unless you have 100 difference devices, you cant really do it without throwing your program out there and seeing what bugs comes back to really polish it off.

My hats off to anyone in the android dev community. It is quite a nightmare compared to desktop.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jun-14-2017, 11:40 AM)metulburr Wrote: I also tried the E-readers like Kindle, and that did remove the feeling of reading on a screen....but its not the same. I like the smell of the paper, the ability to not need to recharge, flipping pages of paper instead of pixels, etc. Its one way i can separate myself from technology.
Yeah, some of my friends say the same. I, myself, prefer e-books - already with my second Kindle (initially had Kindle3 Keyboard, now replaced with newer one) and reading on paper only work related documents. Was a bit sceptic about the build-in light in the latest Kindles, but now I appreciate it too.
(Jun-13-2017, 10:13 PM)ichabod801 Wrote: I am also finding it doesn't work well for organizing books.
Calibre is a miracle. And is written in Python :-) and extendible
Also, Java sucks, but Android is getting Kotlin which means Android programming can suck less.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best distro for old 8' windows tablet? masonjones26 0 1,758 Dec-09-2020, 03:59 PM
Last Post: masonjones26
  Flash an old tablet with a new android? metulburr 4 4,796 Aug-08-2019, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Larz60+