Python Forum
Are Udemy courses worth to pursue?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Udemy courses worth to pursue?
I am a newbie to python learning. I want to learn it from the beginning. Local courses are priced around $1000. Is Udemy a good option?
They are not that bad - just try to catch sales. They have $10 US per course sale every now and then
You may try this one - I started it midway, because it contains a lot of basic materials
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
There are enough online resources to learn Python. I did it alone and all I have used is googling and practise.

Here is a good starting point: https://python-forum.io/Forum-Tutorials
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
I agree with @wavic
You can become very skilled with Python for free. There are countless, easy to find, great free resources online.
Sure if you are keen on following an online course, a sale on Udemy is a good choice as @volcano63 suggested.
Also there is a good free Python course on EdX. Maybe more than one, but I remember a particularly good MIT one.
(Apr-18-2017, 10:39 AM)j.crater Wrote: I agree with @wavic
You can become very skilled with Python for free. There are countless, easy to find, great free resources online.
Sure if you are keen on following an online course, a sale on Udemy is a good choice as @volcano63 suggested.
Also there is a good free Python course on EdX. Maybe more than one, but I remember a particularly good MIT one.

About a decade ago I used much-criticised Dive Into Python - and it helped me a lot (I do not know how good is the newer versions). There are a lot of resources online - but I have occasionally stumbled upon pretty shitty stuff when looking for them. 

Nothing wrong with courses - the problem is to find something for more advanced users  Angry
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
Yes. They are worth pursuing. They are nicely structured and are very informative. Also, you can get them for as low as $10 as Udemy offers a lot of discounts.
I take quite a few Udemy courses almost all on blender or something similar. I have found those to be excellent,
I would expect the python courses to be equally good.
(Apr-18-2017, 10:39 AM)j.crater Wrote: I agree with @wavic

I've enrolled in a couple Udemy courses for python from learntoprogram. Can't complain for 10 bucks i got what i paid for. However, there's plenty of free resources like suggested. YouTube or Reddit are also a great way to catch up on some skills, you could check out some free content by bitdegree as well. Codecademy style course for free https://www.bitdegree.org/course/python-tutorial

In the end you could probably learn everything you need to know for free if you just spend a couple of hours googling. Angel
Udemy is only good, if you get the content for free (watch out for cupon codes).

Udemy had issues with copyright infringement.
Udemy earnd illegal money with it and the deceiver too.
This is the cause why I don't spent any cent to them.
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!
(Apr-18-2017, 09:22 AM)prakashkumar78 Wrote: I am a newbie to python learning. I want to learn it from the beginning. Local courses are priced around $1000. Is Udemy a good option?

Udemy has both good and bad courses, and its prices vary a lot. I suggest always checking out the reviews of a Udemy course thoroughly before enrolling.

I work at Classpert, a website that gathers online courses from several providers, allowing the users to discover all the courses for a subject in a single place. We wrote a review of Udemy that might be useful to you.

If you want to get a certificate from a university while learning online, I suggest checking the courses from Coursera. They have a very thorough Python specialization from University of Michigan that covers from the basics all the way to database and web interactions, allowing to work on a complete project by the end of the courses. Here a link to it: Coursera Python Specialization (this is an affiliate link, but the course is free. Only the certificate is paid)

Lastly, someone on this thread mentioned the book Dive Into Python. It is indeed a great book, but the link that was provided to it doesn't work anymore. It can be found here now (open for everyone still): https://www.diveinto.org/python3/table-of-contents.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which Machine Learning Course is Best Between Udemy and Coursera ankitdixit 7 4,186 Jul-18-2023, 12:22 PM
Last Post: FelicityWright
  online courses Naheed 2 2,520 May-17-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Naheed
  Learning Python - good free online resources & courses StickyBrickit 1 2,416 Jun-04-2020, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Is it worth learning Python for this specific reason? farleycs 2 1,801 Jan-17-2020, 06:37 PM
Last Post: Marbelous
  ChocoPy - A Subset of Python3 used for teaching compiler courses nilamo 0 2,126 Sep-13-2019, 06:49 PM
Last Post: nilamo
  Free courses on Python! Need your review and guidance to polish it sumitavobiswas 2 2,639 Apr-26-2019, 04:39 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Massive discounts on Udemy j.crater 0 3,551 Jan-06-2018, 07:17 PM
Last Post: j.crater
  Blender courses on sale for only $10 Larz60+ 4 3,785 Oct-17-2017, 02:03 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Udemy Course ichabod801 1 3,440 Apr-29-2017, 03:44 PM
Last Post: nilamo
  Special Udemy Discount for You corry 2 3,913 Mar-02-2017, 07:24 AM
Last Post: metulburr