Python Forum
Are the security questions for registration necessary
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the security questions for registration necessary
Yo.

Also, assuming those are intended to be permanent, you really need to get rid of those security questions for registration.  It is way too much to expect a new programmer seeking advice to look something like that up before registering.
I made the security questions because they are the main spam prevention. The default recaptcha is wonky...sometimes shows, sometimes not...at least for me. There is a plugin for a recaptcha 3 that is bettwe, but i havent bothered since the security questions seemed to remove 100% spam. There is also no email verification. I havent set that up on the server. I havent gotten that far in my apache skills. 

The security questions i made in order to attempt that anyone can research them. And they are free to refresh for a new question there and then. And even cycle through all of them if they wish.

Of course we could use what we are doing now for spam prevention...first post moderated. Or/And we could just make them a simple math problem? 

But i definitely needed something for spam prevention with it being a ghost town...it was being bombarded by bots.
Recommended Tutorials:
Simple math would be better; though of course a bot could easily solve it if they were told what to expect.  Maybe simple math written out in words or something?
I'm afraid I don't have faith that new users who often refuse to read a welcome thread before blindly posting will put in the effort to look up a python question; despite how readily available the info is.
I could do leet code, but a simplified version

What does f0ur plu5 51x equal to?
or 
What does f0ur plus six equal to?
or 
What does f0ur plus 6 equal to?
or could just write out in hopes they know
f0ur plus 6
I would like a more complex math, but i think some people would get the order of operations wrong. 

EDIT:
I enabled recaptcha. The default was actually regular captcha. So as long as that works fine, i guess there is no point to complex questions. I also disabled the research python questions and added simple math questions.
Recommended Tutorials:
I just registered with recapthca and simple math. I thought it was okay. No python-specific knowledge needed at all, at all.

However, I was asked "how much is 3 plus eleven" and the answer "14" was not accepted. I had to refresh for a new question. :(
(Sep-13-2016, 02:25 PM)Kebap Wrote: I just registered with recapthca and simple math. I thought it was okay. No python-specific knowledge needed at all, at all.
I disabled it before that point. 

(Sep-13-2016, 02:25 PM)Kebap Wrote: However, I was asked "how much is 3 plus eleven" and the answer "14" was not accepted. I had to refresh for a new question.
:D haha I was so focused on mixing numbers and characters for the question that i got the answer key wrong....

Fixed that.
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Registration security questions messed up? MyPythonWay 5 14,098 Sep-01-2019, 02:45 PM
Last Post: ichabod801
  Registration issues Kebap 2 4,510 Oct-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Kebap