Python Forum
Automated compile - Multiple Target OS?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automated compile - Multiple Target OS?
I've just started to play with FastLane and GitLab Runner for some XCode work and am really liking the automated build, test, deploy process.

I was wondering is whether there is something similar in the Python land that would automate the build and deploy process but deploy Python executables for OSX, Linux and Windows?
All depends on what you are looking for.

For example, you can run Colab from Google and do AI using Tensorflow on a Chromebook, phone, or any OS you named. Since Python normally is an interpreted language, it will run on any computer for which there is a Python interpreter, which is all of those mentioned and many more.

And I was an Apple developer writing iPhone and iPad apps using XCode and must say that Python is far more intuitive, and you are less likely to have an adverse experience like I did with the Apple store. Doesn't cost $100 per year and doesn't require you to use an (IMHO overpriced) Mac for development.

Depends on what you want to do and who your audience may be.
Thanks for the speedy reply.

XCode stuff is for work, my day job in supporting our Xcode devs.

Python is what I do in my spare time and I code some bots for a small group of users that typically use either on *nix (run as a python script) or Windows (single file executable). But if I could streamline the process it would be a huge timesaver for me too as well as being able to move to single file executable for both platforms and introduce MacOS at the same time.

All I want to do is something along the lines of:

Code commit -> build -> test -> deploy as a release (3 target OS's) on a git page

As soon as I get a chance, I shall look into Colab.
APIs are generally the way to go these days. Have you checked if GitLab has an API you can use to make releases? GitHub certainly does offer that via their API (e.g. here), though I've not really used GitLab.
For Xcode i've actually used GitLab Runners with FastLane to do this. I probably could do the same with python, but is there an easy way to compile an executable for Python for multiple OS's from the one machine (CentOS)?
Your .py code should run on *nix, MacOS, and Windows without modification, unless you include some weird libraries. Now that assumes that python is installed on each of the machines.
If you are look for a compiler to convert to machine code or bytecode then this article may be of help
https://softwareengineering.stackexchang...a-compiler

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eliminate entering QR - Whatsapp web automated by selenium akanowhere 1 3,024 Jan-21-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: owalahtole
  Pyautogui, İmagesearch, Moving target Beyazx 0 554 Jun-27-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Beyazx
  What is the Target value in this GridSearchCV problem? Led_Zeppelin 0 629 Feb-15-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: Led_Zeppelin
  Question about Creating an Automated Process in Python Supratik1234 0 712 Jan-13-2023, 08:29 PM
Last Post: Supratik1234
  How to read python shortcut target profile directory of Chrome Ink file sunny9495 1 1,617 Apr-12-2022, 06:12 PM
Last Post: sunny9495
  Control Mouse and Keyboard Across the Country Without VNC on Target PC Khuber79 5 2,933 Feb-21-2021, 02:42 AM
Last Post: NullAdmin
  Creating symbolic matrix automated NMMST 2 2,061 Oct-05-2020, 01:42 AM
Last Post: scidam
  Automated service status for windows Pkhan 2 2,091 Sep-30-2020, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Pkhan
  Python: Automated Script to Read Multiple Files in Respective Matrices Robotguy 7 4,121 Jul-03-2020, 01:34 AM
Last Post: bowlofred
  Automated Bet placement redmercury 2 8,240 Dec-04-2019, 10:53 AM
Last Post: redmercury