Python Forum
Basic question about Install
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic question about Install
Hi,
I have recently downloaded Python 3.7.1 and trying to do some very basic things.
I appear to have a 'Python Shell' loaded - and can type basics - i.e. 1 + 2 and get result 3
However if I try and use pip then i get an invalid command (understood pip is part of 3.7.1). If I try Python -- version I get an error.
The commands fail at the Command Prompt (run as administrator) &/or the Python prompt.
I wanted to load some stuff from github hence the pip requirement

[Image: Terminal.jpg]

Can't help feeling I am missing something very basic.
Appreciate any help to get past this stupid hurdle.
pip is ruin from command line, not interpreter.
exit interpreter with 'quit()'
then from command line:
pip -V
From the first image, it looks like your python was not added to PATH.
You will need to either add it manually, reinstall and choose to add it to PATH, or use the full path to the executables.
Thanks for the response. I thought I had shown Python Interpreter and Command Prompt.
The text below is from the Command prompt.
Is the command line different from the command prompt?

(Nov-12-2018, 03:50 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: pip is ruin from command line, not interpreter.
exit interpreter with 'quit()'
then from command line:
pip -V
Output:
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.345] (c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\WINDOWS\system32>pip -V 'pip' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. C:\WINDOWS\system32>
I tried the same @ C:\
It''s your path! as Stranac suggests, python is not being found, environment variables are not properly set up.
If you know how to set manually go ahead, but if you are not familiar with this, don't try as you can really mess things up with your OS.
Instead, uninstall python, and install following:
windows install part1
and windows install part2
Many, many thanks.

Seems to have accomplished Part 1 and YES the link to Python I guess is the check box I missed last time

Have given you +1 reputation with my own *****

Thanks