Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BeautifulSoup Parsing Error
Hi all,

Novice here, so go easy on me. I'm in the process of writing a web scraping script to automate a public records database search. For some reason, the html script that it's returning once I've parsed it with BeautifulSoup contains a formatting error that results in most of the data being omitted from the table it's in. It basically closes the table after the first row, instead of closing the table after the last row. Where should I be looking to fix this? I've included the code I'm using below:

import requests
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup

r = requests.get('https://public.hcad.org/records/Real/AdvancedResults.asp?name=&desc=&stname=westheimer&bstnum=&estnum=&zip=&kmap=&facet=&isd=&StateCategory=F1&BSC=&LUC=&nbhd=&val=&valrange=.10&sqft=&sqftrange=.10&Sort=Account&bstep=0&taxyear=2017&Search=Search')
r.status_code
soup = BeautifulSoup(r.text, 'html.parser')
print(soup.prettify())
What are you trying to get out of the page?
If you ignore the tables, and just go straight for the rows, you can get the data. I was playing around, and this seems to work fine: rows = soup.find_all("tr"). You'll need to skip the first 7 or so rows, since those are headers, the search criteria, generic info, etc.
Thanks for the reply! It worked, but I also tried downloading the lxml parser and using that, which worked and allowed me to select the specific table I'm interested in:

soup = BeautifulSoup(r.text, 'lxml')
property_table = soup.find_all('table')[3]
The issue I'm stuck with now is that I'm not sure how to extract the text from it. Using

property_table.get_text()
returns mostly text but with a lot of newline ("\n") tags and without formatting. Basically, my question now is this: How do I extract this data nicely into an excel table or .csv format?

Thanks again for your help!
(Jun-07-2017, 09:11 PM)slinkplink Wrote: returns mostly text but with a lot of newline ("\n") tags and without formatting. Basically, my question now is this: How do I extract this data nicely into an excel table or .csv format?
Thats because its getting all the text from the table....and whitespace is considered text. You can use str.strip() to remove whitespace for each row and get each row.

Im sure there is already pre-made html to cvs scripts if you search for them...this is the first result from google
https://gist.github.com/n8henrie/08a31f02fd1282d12b75

test.py
#!/usr/bin/env python3
"""html_to_csv.py
Prompts for a URL, displays HTML tables from that page, then converts
the selected table to a csv file.
"""

import sys
import pandas

if sys.version[0] == '2':
    input = raw_input

url = input("Enter the URL: ")
tables = pandas.io.html.read_html(url)
'''
for index, table in enumerate(tables):
    print("Table {}:".format(index + 1))
    print(table.head() + '\n')
    print('-' * 60)
    print('\n')
'''
choice = int(input("Enter the number of the table you want: ")) - 1
filename = input("Enter a filename (.csv extension assumed): ") + '.csv'

with open(filename, 'w') as outfile:
    tables[choice].to_csv(outfile, index=False, header=False)
Output:
metulburr@ubuntu:~$ python test.py Enter the URL: https://public.hcad.org/records/Real/AdvancedResults.asp?name=&desc=&stname=westheimer&bstnum=&estnum=&zip=&kmap=&facet=&isd=&StateCategory=F1&BSC=&LUC=&nbhd=&val=&valrange=.10&sqft=&sqftrange=.10&Sort=Account&bstep=0&taxyear=2017&Search=Search Enter the number of the table you want: 3 Enter a filename (.csv extension assumed): stuff
Output:

Recommended Tutorials:
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. It's got me thinking now: is there a way I could build a data set that consists of aggregated search results from the page I'm searching? What I mean by that, is what would you recommend I look into for the purpose of automatically stringing together several sets of search results from the same page? (they would all have the same format since they would be coming from the same source.)
For example, if I want to search all the properties along a given street - "westheimer", for example - but within that, search only properties that also have the State Category F1, F2, C1, and C2, what should I look into to automatically conduct those four searches and export that data into one .csv file?
I don't mean to have anyone do this for me, I'm trying to learn how to do it. As little or as much direction as anyone is willing to provide would be much appreciated though!
start with snippsat's tutorials on web scraping
here and here
To scrape specific elements using the class attribute as an example:

from urllib.request import urlopen

from urllib.error import HTTPError

from urllib.error import URLError

from bs4 import BeautifulSoup

try:

html = urlopen("https://likegeeks.com/")

except HTTPError as e:

print(e)

except URLError:

print("Server down or incorrect domain")

else:

res = BeautifulSoup(html.read(),"html5lib")

tags = res.findAll("h3", {"class": "post-title"})

for tag in tags:

print(tag.getText())
Also, you can use findAll like this:

tags = res.findAll("span", "a" "img")
Or by inner text:

tags = res.findAll(text="Python Programming Basics with Examples")
Check this tutorial: Python web scraping

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strange ModuleNotFound Error on BeautifulSoup for Python 3.11 Gaberson19 1 919 Jul-13-2023, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Gaurav_Kumar
  [Solved]Help with BeautifulSoup.getText() Error Extra 5 3,641 Jan-19-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: prvncpa
  BeautifulSoup not parsing other URLs giddyhead 0 1,169 Feb-23-2022, 05:35 PM
Last Post: giddyhead
  BeautifulSoup: 6k records - but stops after parsing 20 lines apollo 0 1,788 May-10-2021, 05:08 PM
Last Post: apollo
  Logic behind BeautifulSoup data-parsing jimsxxl 7 4,222 Apr-13-2021, 09:06 AM
Last Post: jimsxxl
  Error with NumPy, BeautifulSoup when using pip tsurubaso 7 5,160 Oct-20-2020, 04:34 PM
Last Post: tsurubaso
  Python beautifulsoup pagination error The61 5 3,401 Apr-09-2020, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  BeautifulSoup: Error while extracting a value from an HTML table kawasso 3 3,156 Aug-25-2019, 01:13 AM
Last Post: kawasso
  beautifulsoup error rudolphyaber 7 5,446 May-26-2019, 02:12 PM
Last Post: heiner55
  Beautifulsoup parsing Larz60+ 7 6,001 Apr-05-2017, 03:07 AM
Last Post: Larz60+