Python Forum
Best software for creating charts????
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best software for creating charts????
I am still new to Python, so my wording of the question may not be quite right.  I will need to produce charts (nothing very fancy, primarily stacked bar charts, but line charts as well) in my current project.

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations as to which library (I think that is the correct term) to import -- one that can a novice like me can understand, easiest to use, good colors, etc etc.

Thanks
Matplotlib would be the go-to - http://matplotlib.org/users/pyplot_tutorial.html
thank you -- will check it out
I use the PyCharm IDE. I also have Python 3.6 installed, but have not used it. Do I have to download Matplotlib? I ask because when I keyed in "import matplotlib.pyplot as plt" at the top of my program in Pycharm as one of the examples in the tutorial said to do, it gave me an error "no module named Matplotlib"

Is there something else I need to do?? Again, I am new to this stuff. Thanks
I guess you use Windows.
Matplotlib has C dependencies,so you use wheel from Gohlke.
There are minimum Requires: numpy, dateutil, pytz, pyparsing, cycler, setuptools.

All installasjon is done with pip.
pip should be installed when you did install Python 3.6.
Start cmd and post back what pip -V return.
Eg:
C:\WINDOWS\system32>cd\
C:\>pip -V
pip 9.0.1 from c:\python36\lib\site-packages (python 3.6)

C:\>
pip 8.1.2 from c:\users\dennis\appdata\local\programs\python\python36\lib\site-packages (python 3.6)
First upgrade pip.
python -m pip install -U pip
Then test that it work.
pip install python-dateutil
Then we take the rest,if this work.
do I do that at the windows cmd prompt?

I tried what you said at the windows command prompt. It went through some stuff and said " you are using pip version 8.1.2, however 9.0.1 is available. You should consider upgrading via the 'python - m pip install --upgrade pip' command.

I thought that was what I just did. -- but it apparently did not work

Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\basecommand.py", line 215, in main
status = self.run(options, args)
File "C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\commands\install.py", line 317, in run
prefix=options.prefix_path,
File "C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_set.py", line 742, in install
**kwargs
File "C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_install.py", line 831, in install
self.move_wheel_files(self.source_dir, root=root, prefix=prefix)
File "C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\req\req_install.py", line 1032, in move_wheel_files
isolated=self.isolated,
File "C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\wheel.py", line 463, in move_wheel_files
generated.extend(maker.make(spec))
File "C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\_vendor\distlib\scripts.py", line 372, in make
self._make_script(entry, filenames, options=options)
File "C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\_vendor\distlib\scripts.py", line 276, in _make_script
self._write_script(scriptnames, shebang, script, filenames, ext)
File "C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\_vendor\distlib\scripts.py", line 212, in _write_script
launcher = self._get_launcher('t')
File "C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\_vendor\distlib\scripts.py", line 351, in _get_launcher
result = finder(distlib_package).find(name).bytes
File "C:\Users\Dennis\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36\lib\site-packages\pip\_vendor\distlib\resources.py", line 324, in finder
raise DistlibException('Unable to locate finder for %r' % package)
pip._vendor.distlib.DistlibException: Unable to locate finder for 'pip._vendor.distlib'

I will have to continue this tomorrow -- thanks for your help
I think you should uninstall,there where bug report of this on beta 3.6.
Follow this.
So make sure to make a better path like C:\Python36.
Make sure that that Add Python 3.6 to Path and pip is marked on.
Restart.
Now do pip -V,think python 3.6 final has version 9 of pip.
Hello!
https://github.com/vinta/awesome-python#...ualization
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I want to create custom charts in Python. js1152410 1 501 Nov-13-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: gulshan212
  PYQT charts in tabs frohr 10 4,223 Feb-13-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: Axel_Erfurt
  Line charts error "'isnan' not supported for the input types," issac_n 1 2,367 Jul-22-2020, 04:34 PM
Last Post: issac_n
  Is there any way to transfer charts generated from excel to powerpoint? zcabaaf 1 7,844 Aug-05-2019, 07:34 AM
Last Post: zcabaaf
  Arabic language is backward in python charts bandar 3 3,524 Feb-23-2018, 07:10 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Order of Operation for creating organizational database software Mike_Marino 5 4,106 Aug-15-2017, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Mike_Marino
  Best software for creating printed reports? birdieman 5 4,358 Feb-02-2017, 02:39 AM
Last Post: birdieman