Python Forum
Tkinter or Kivy or....?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tkinter or Kivy or....?
Hi!

Am new to forums and pretty new to Python but love it so far. Can anyone guide me as to picking a GUI framework? I have been using Zelle's graphics package with the book Python Programming: An Introduction to Computer Science and am now looking to expand. Kivy looks pretty sweet in terms of porting to all major platoforms and supporting touch screens, etc. What do y'all think?

Thanks!

- Rainy D.cart
Im not really fond of Kivy. That is mostly because you end up writing it in the Kivy language with some in python. But i also am not fond of mobile devices either and dev in it. Call me old fashion, but touch screens make me want to jab them with a screwdriver in rage. Cool

If mobile is important to you then you have no choice. But if you just want to make GUI/games then i would suggest Pygame for games, and WxPython/PyQt/tkinter for GUI apps as they are more robust.

EDIT:
I think pyqt5 does support android or can be ported to android. Not sure exactly though.
Recommended Tutorials:
I hate touch screen, and touch pad.
The trend is to eliminate the mouse ... hang on to what you've got (and maybe buy a few spares)
I think it depends on what do you wanna do? if you are more into mobile apps and touch application choose kivy, if you are more into computer software choose tkinter.