Python Forum
Can I install Python 3.6.2 on Windows 10 for All Users?
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Can I install Python 3.6.2 on Windows 10 for All Users?
Hi,

We have Windows 10 laptops each with a local administrator account for our teachers, and one or more local standard user accounts for our students. Now and then these standard user accounts are deleted and new ones are added as students come and go.

Now, I have tried to install Python 3.6.2 for ALL users from within the administrator account, hoping that the students then can start all the installed components from within their standard user accounts. But when I log in to these standard accounts I cannot find the applications I installed into my administrator account.

Thus if I log into the administrator account after installation, there is a Python 3.6 folder with IDLE, Python application, Python 3.6 module Doc and Python manuals. However, if I log into the standard user account, I cannot see those items at all?

How do I install Python 3.6 on a Windows 10 PC so that also other user accounts on that machine can use Python in the same way as they would be able to do if they were logged into the administrator account?

I have installed other software (like Sublime Text, Arduino for Scratch, etc), and they can all be launched from the Standard User Account even if they were installed from my Administrator Account.

Thanks!
If you are logged in as the actual Administrator you are assigning Administrator rights, much like 'root' in Linux, Unix, and Mac. Typically you do not want to install 'user' software as the Administrator. What you want is a User with Administrator privileges, should that prove necessary. If you want the directory accessible by everyone, you should put it in a directory everyone has access to, such as C:\Python3.6, rather that under a Users directory. During the Python installation, you are given the options of who you want to install it for (ie single user or everyone), where you want to install it (again, something like C:\Pyton3.6 is a good choice), whether you want to have Python update the Environmental Variables (why, yes you do) and whether you want to have 'pip' installed (again yes you do). We have a tutorial in the Tutorial forum on how to install Python on Windows (I don't have the link handy, sorry).

Be aware, when you install Python for everyone, they have access to everything under the Python directory, including 'pip'.

Most programs will try and install under the main C: directory, Program Files directory or Program Files (x86) directory, all of which can be accessed by everyone. Python, on the other hand will try and install itself in the User directory of the person doing the install (which is why you have to make sure and change that destination.

EDIT: Here is the link to the tutorial: https://python-forum.io/Thread-Basic-Par...er-Windows
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  windows install py.exe fulkgl 1 4,013 Sep-16-2018, 09:10 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Python 2.7.14 install on Windows missing Scripts directory and pip #bug bluejedi 4 16,472 Dec-15-2017, 04:12 PM
Last Post: bluejedi
  [PyPa] Problems with Install PIP on Windows ! JamieVanCadsand 7 9,741 Sep-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Last Post: JamieVanCadsand