Python Forum
Can anyone recommend a step by step guide to building an app
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anyone recommend a step by step guide to building an app
Hello all,
this is my first post.
I'm studying for the Microsoft MTA in Python Fundamentals.
The course covers the basics but does not teach you how to create an app from start to finish

Can anyone let me know the steps required for building an app from start to finish.
From what I can gather on the web these steps should be taken:

1 Decide what Platform you are developing for(Android, Windows, All Platforms etc).

2 Set up Virtual Environment

3 Join Git

4 Project Structure(create folder hierarchy)

5 Create a skeleton of functions and classes that only contain the doctrings of what you want to do.

Thanks in advance for any help given.
If you look through here: http://openbookproject.net/thinkcs/pytho...tions.html
you'll find a bunch of examples, with explanations, and then finally the complete application.
(Sep-14-2019, 03:22 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: If you look through here: http://openbookproject.net/thinkcs/pytho...tions.html
you'll find a bunch of examples, with explanations, and then finally the complete application.

Thanks, the link you posted opens a page relating to exception handling.
Do you mean look through the links on openbookproject.net or look through the chapters of How to think like a Computer Scientist?

Iv been clicking through all the links and havent found any examples so far. Where are they buried?
(Sep-13-2019, 04:13 PM)PyNovice Wrote: 1 Decide what Platform you are developing for(Android, Windows, All Platforms etc).
This will determine the package you use. For example Kivy does android. But if you are doing it for Windows, WxPython/PyQt5 might be better suited.

(Sep-13-2019, 04:13 PM)PyNovice Wrote: 2 Set up Virtual Environment
This is optional as you do not need a virtual environment to run code. Some people use it and some dont. Most often if you are running numerous versions of python, you might want to.

(Sep-13-2019, 04:13 PM)PyNovice Wrote: 3 Join Git
This is also optional. But highly advised. This is a way hand your code over to people easier as well as get feedback for it essentially.

(Sep-13-2019, 04:13 PM)PyNovice Wrote: 4 Project Structure(create folder hierarchy)
This will most likely happen within time. While creating the program you will expand on it creating the structure.

(Sep-13-2019, 04:13 PM)PyNovice Wrote: 5 Create a skeleton of functions and classes that only contain the doctrings of what you want to do.
Again i think this is optional. I don't do this. But i do to some degree. Like if i am just making a filler class so i dont forget it later, i might create a skeleton class for it. However sometimes i do not on purpose. For example being notified that a class does not exist is an easy way to determine that you have not yet created that class yet (or just forgot).
Recommended Tutorials:
@metulburr Thank you

When you are creating an app is there a process that you use.

Atm i am writing code but I have no structure or overall plan to work to.

For example when creating a Database there is a list of steps that you follow so that you always know where you are in the development of your database. I was hoping to find something similar to use as a guide for developing an app.
I cant think of a guide for that, but maybe someone else might know of one?
Recommended Tutorials:
Start bye looking at virtual environment and packaging at basic level.
I have several post about this,can link to some here, here, here, here.
In this tutorial i cover wide range of stuff regarding this.

Many project do create Packaging for you eg Django.
There are many tools for this to Poetry(Good), Cookiecutter.
There are Cookiecutter for many project eg Flask(tool i use most for web creation) cookiecutter-flask, cookiecutter-kivy...ect.

Tools can be fine,but getting basic knowledge about this toic first can help.
Python also have Python Packaging Authority,that maintain(also have tutorials) of
many these tool eg pip,wheel,setuptools(setup.py) ect.
(Sep-14-2019, 03:34 PM)snippsat Wrote: Start bye looking at virtual environment and packaging at basic level.
I have several post about this,can link to some here, here, here, here.
In this tutorial i cover wide range of stuff regarding this.

Many project do create Packaging for you eg Django.
There are many tools for this to Poetry(Good), Cookiecutter.
There are Cookiecutter for many project eg Flask(tool i use most for web creation) cookiecutter-flask, cookiecutter-kivy...ect.

Tools can be fine,but getting basic knowledge about this toic first can help.
Python also have Python Packaging Authority,that maintain(also have tutorials) of
many these tool eg pip,wheel,setuptools(setup.py) ect.

Many thanks for these links. I will read through these today and I will post back here with some questions if I have them.

Thanks again
If you learn about writing automated tests (e.g. unit tests), then test-driven development is a great way to go about building software incrementally.
(Sep-15-2019, 12:46 PM)ndc85430 Wrote: If you learn about writing automated tests (e.g. unit tests), then test-driven development is a great way to go about building software incrementally.

Thanks for the tip.
I've googled Python Testing and found this
https://realpython.com/python-testing/

Is there a particular Tutorial that you recommend.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which one of these would you recommend? vil0x 2 2,133 Dec-27-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Can you recommend me a vps that will run api python code? SuchUmami 2 977 Aug-16-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  iterating an iterator by one step Skaperen 0 1,581 Feb-09-2021, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  What book/course do you recommend for an "advanced" beginner? Edmond 3 2,290 Jan-22-2021, 04:12 PM
Last Post: BashBedlam
  Career step with Python izildop 0 1,425 Dec-26-2019, 09:41 PM
Last Post: izildop
  What YouTube tutorials do you recommend: nelsonkane 8 4,571 Jan-31-2018, 02:20 PM
Last Post: sparkz_alot
  next step after learning ngj38uk 3 4,252 Feb-24-2017, 06:21 AM
Last Post: Skaperen