Bottom Page

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
 Cannot add dot executable to system path
When I run graphviz

https://graphviz.readthedocs.io/en/stable/

I get the following error

graphviz.backend.ExecutableNotFound: failed to execute ['dot', '-Tpdf', '-O', 'test-output/aoc.gv.pdf'], make sure the Graphviz executables are on your systems' PATH

I don't know what the graphviz executables are. In any case, my best guess is that I have to add the path of the module that uses graphviz or I have to add the graphviz module to my .bash_profile. Currently, my bash_profile has this line:

PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/bin:${PATH}

So I tried adding the path of where the module that uses Graphviz is located which is

/Users/me/PycharmProjects/inference_engine2/inference2/proofs/other/use_graphviz.py

Plus the graphviz module itself which is:

/library/frameworks/python.framework/versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/graphviz/

Making the final product to be:

PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/bin:${PATH}:/Users/me/PycharmProjects/inference_engine2/inference2/proofs/other/use_graphviz.py:/library/frameworks/python.framework/versions/3.6/lib/python3.6/site-packages/graphviz/"

But that did not work. I need to know what string I have to add to the PATH.
This doesn't really seem like a Python question. Are you able to get graphviz working outside of Python, you're just having trouble with Python? Or have you not tried / can't get working graphviz by itself? Assuming the latter, you might want to take a look at https://stackoverflow.com/a/38669904/1157440
Feel like you're not getting the answers you want? Checkout the help/rules for things like what to include/not include in a post, how to use code tags, how to ask smart questions, and more.

Pro-tip - there's an inverse correlation between the number of lines of code posted and my enthusiasm for helping with a question :)
Problem solved. It took me a while to figure out that I had to download some non-pythonic software before I could get the pythonic software to work.

brew install graphviz

Was step 1 and I had done that before but I was getting an error message. It told me to change ownership of some files so I did that. Then tried

brew install graphviz

again and that did the trick.

Top Page

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difference between Python's os.system and Perl's system command Agile741 13 456 Dec-02-2019, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Agile741
  [split] FileNotFoundError...System cannot find the path specified powerrocker 1 175 Oct-03-2019, 09:09 AM
Last Post: buran
  FileNotFoundError...System cannot find the path specified alex9745 28 6,518 Jul-23-2019, 05:14 AM
Last Post: alex9745
  [python]FileNotFoundError...System cannot find the path specified creichle 1 1,079 Jan-30-2019, 12:49 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  .pth file does not show up in sys.path when configuring path. arjunsingh2908 2 1,285 Jul-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: arjunsingh2908