Python Forum
Capstone Project - Room for Python?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capstone Project - Room for Python?
Well, I had already planned on using Java and an open source BI tool to build dashboards as the end-user component of this project. I understand Python can do everything, but what is the most feasible use for it.

And I do appreciate the web scraping suggestion on FFtoday stats. Maybe that's where I do integrate a Python component.
I apologize for the delay in my response but I realized I needed to educate myself a bit more on Python. So I took a beginner Python course online and had a great time. Dance Nothing fancy, just the basics. Glad I took it. Now back to this subject, after taking the course I'm still not sure how Python would be a better option for data manipulation/data loading than using a combination of SQL (SQL Loader primarily) and perl scripting. It seems like it would be an option if I knew it better or knew it first but I guess I'm looking for a little guidance strategically where Python would be a better option.

Thanks all.
(Sep-20-2017, 02:01 PM)QueenBee Wrote: Nothing fancy, just the basics.

You'd be surprised how many people seem to skip this step. Congratulations on completing your course. Hopefully, should you decide to install Python, you will install the latest version (currently 3.6.2).

Also, you might want to bookmark this site Packt Free Books . They offer free books every day on all manor of IT topics.

I gather your end result will be to present to the end user a display and a certain amount of information.  Perhaps you could shed a little more light on this. For instance:
1) Will this product be cross platform (i.e. will run on Windows, Linux, Mac, *nix) or are you targeting a specific OS?
2) How will you present it to the end-user? As a command line application, a GUI application, a Browser based application?
3) What sort of information will be presented to the end-user?
3) Will the end-user be able to add, modify or delete any of the information?
4) Will your program offer any "predictions" on the information provided?
5) Will you want to provide any charts/graphs concerning the information?

Other topics will no doubt present themselves as you go along.

As I recall, this is to be a "demo" program, perhaps you could supply a small sample of the type of data you would include in the database.  We have several members well versed in languages other than Python (sadly, I'm not one of them) and I'm sure they would have no problem making a suggestion as to a "best fit" for what you are trying to accomplish.

Again, congrats on completing your course and welcome back.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Hey sparkz_alot, thanks for the friendly e-mail. Yea, was happy I stuck with the course and decided to pay for it. As much as I wanted to just skip doing the work I realized by paying for it I forced myself to actually do the work.

Here are my answers line-by-line:
I gather your end result will be to present to the end user a display and a certain amount of information. Perhaps you could shed a little more light on this. For instance:
1) Will this product be cross platform (i.e. will run on Windows, Linux, Mac, *nix) or are you targeting a specific OS?
My source database (MySQL) runs on Ubuntu 16, my end-user tools ( mysql workbench) run on Windows. I plan on using Linux for most of my backend functions except the datawarehouse which will be in Windows.

2) How will you present it to the end-user? As a command line application, a GUI application, a Browser based application?
My original thinking was to present it via some freeware/opensource reporting tool. Since my goal was to showcase my skills as a BI/Systems Architect and how I built an entire system beginning to end, I was thinking about utilizing multiple end-user tools to present the data.

3) What sort of information will be presented to the end-user? Any historical stat you can think of for Football, both Team and Players, Offense and Defense.
3) Will the end-user be able to add, modify or delete any of the information? Nope, no write access.
4) Will your program offer any "predictions" on the information provided? Absolutely, but more phase 2 functionality.
5) Will you want to provide any charts/graphs concerning the information? Yup, if its feasible.

Thanks
QB
(Sep-20-2017, 02:01 PM)QueenBee Wrote: SQL (SQL Loader primarily) and perl scripting.

If the data is in a database, then using sql is the right choice.
If you know perl better than you know python, then perl is the right choice.  If you don't know perl, then why bring it up?  :p

Python and Perl serve the same purpose in this space.  We can argue semantics, and libraries, but ultimately, anything you wouldn't do in sql, you can do in either just fine.  Python gives you access to certain dataprocessing libraries, such as Pandas, but I'm sure Perl has something similar.

Use what you know.  Sounds like you've got a big project on your hands, so learning something new is just another step.  Unless you don't already know perl, in that case learning that would likely be more difficult than learning python.
Well essentially, that's what I wanted to know, if I already know SQL and perl (just enough to be dangerous), why use Python? What's the advantage of learning it (instead of just hardening the skills I know).

Essentially my objective here to determine if Python is worth learning for this project? I've heard allot about how great Python is and how easy it is, and how it could solve all my problems (can you guess I talked to someone who thinks the world of Python), and it got me looking into it.
Personal preference.  Python, Perl (especially perl6), Ruby, and a whole host of other languages all fill the same role: general purpose language that's easy and quick to try ideas out in, while also having an easy to use package manager.

I like python better.  Unless you actually want to try to learn a new language by doing the project, then just use a language you already know, so it doesn't take you too long lol
On the subject of MySql vs PostgreSQL, you may want to see this video.
It's is a hard video to watch, but the presenter does know what he is talking about.
It's worth taking a look at: https://hasgeek.tv/rootconf/2015/1105-an...l-to-mysql

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  python Meeting room free/busy Availability in Exchange r7rajkumar 3 4,963 Mar-22-2018, 09:34 PM
Last Post: nilamo