Python Forum
Poll: Should we have a challenges section?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Lets add this!
41.67%
5 41.67%
Nah I'm good.
50.00%
6 50.00%
I don't care lol.
8.33%
1 8.33%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Challenges Section
I like many programmers need stuff to program, and being new I want to hone my skills. I now turn to my community in seek of a challenge. I believe a challenge section would be great for us all to learn and practice. Vote what you believe and hopefully the staff will take notice. 

K Man.
The K Man.
I personally like the idea... in theory.

The problem is we have done this before, and the section tends to get very little in the way of posts.
If you check our old forum (google "python forum" and click first link) you will see that in almost three years the section had 17 threads.

If someone dedicated to making a challenge thread in the section once a week it would be great but someone would need to be committed to make it worthwhile.
(Nov-07-2016, 04:20 PM)Mekire Wrote: I personally like the idea... in theory. The problem is we have done this before, and the section tends to get very little in the way of posts. If someone dedicated to making a challenge thread in the section once a week it would be great but someone would need to be committed to make it worthwhile.

I will be honest, I am not a very good programmer, but I would love to challenge people, and if I begin it others may join in. I dearly hope it is considered.
The K Man.
If you are unaware of Project Euler, you should definitely check it out.
You might also like the daily programmer subreddit.
(Nov-07-2016, 04:30 PM)Mekire Wrote: If you are unaware of Project Euler, you should definitely check it out. You might also like the daily programmer subreddit.
I never knew of this, thank you but still please consider this for the community!
The K Man.
Another issue with "challenges" is that it always ends up getting more homework posts than what the section is intended for. I understand the appeal, but we've run the experiment and it wasn't as successful as everyone would have liked.
This thread has a lot of programming ideas, challenges, and links to places like Project Euler and r/dailyprogrammer.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Nov-07-2016, 04:32 PM)micseydel Wrote: it always ends up getting more homework posts than what the section is intended for
Yeah, it would need something like the tutorial section, where only mods (or those given specific privilege) can post new threads but anyone can comment. But again, unless some mod was dedicated to arbitrating it I don't think it would work.
Quote:I will be honest, I am not a very good programmer, but I would love to challenge people, and if I begin it others may join in. I dearly hope it is considered.
I think some will join in especially when involving active members. But come a year or so it will be a ghost forum. 

I think if you wanted to get ideas to use that thread suggested by ichabod801, if you want to add ideas to it, post your idea to it, and it will be added.
Recommended Tutorials:
Hey man think positively, we don't want to be a ghost forum ;)
The K Man.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Have you considered adding a section for MicroPython? Tiel 7 3,690 Oct-06-2021, 08:11 AM
Last Post: buran
  jobs section metulburr 6 4,361 Jan-17-2018, 10:48 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  A newbie section Kai. 6 6,468 Nov-04-2016, 07:42 PM
Last Post: wavic