Change linenumber and filename printed in exceptions like #line in C
Hi,
As you might know, there is the #line command in the C-preprocessor:

#include <stdio.h>
#line 20 "abc"
int main() {
    printf("%i %s\n", __LINE__, __FILE__); //outputs 22 abc
}
Is there something like this #line command in python? I want to change what is printed in exceptions.
I tried:
import inspect
frame = inspect.currentframe()
fileNo = frame.f_lineno
frame.f_lineno=1000
But this resulted in the output
Output:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "pythontest.py", line 4, in <module> frame.f_lineno=1000 ValueError: f_lineno can only be set by a trace function
In case you were wondering why I would want to change the filename and filenumber: In my workflow, I have a files that contain python source code and other text. A script searches those python source code blocks, puts them into the right order, writes them into a file (called sum.py) and executes this file. This works fine, but obviously exceptions show the linenumber in sum.py and not the linenumber in the original files.
They're called dunders (double underscore) in python list here: https://docs.python.org/3/reference/impo..._#__name__
for exceptions, you can examine the call stack
see: https://python-forum.io/Thread-Walking-t...ight=stack
I don't think there is any equivalent of the #line preprocessing directive in python. What you could do is catch the exception and transform the output of traceback.format_tb() by replacing items such as ['File "sum.py" line 10 ...'] with the correct line and file reference. This supposes that you store these position informations in a separate file when you create sum.py.

Top Page

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for advice and Guidance on Exceptions used within Functions paul41 1 90 Nov-14-2019, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  I get "None" at the end of my printed result. dyshkant 3 174 Sep-06-2019, 06:31 PM
Last Post: dyshkant
  bytes not being printed as expected Skaperen 2 186 Aug-27-2019, 05:33 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  multi-line messages in raised exceptions? Skaperen 3 252 Aug-01-2019, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  How to change existing date to current date in a filename? shankar455 1 363 Apr-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Creating custom exceptions that co-operate LadySvetlana 4 437 Mar-19-2019, 04:24 PM
Last Post: LadySvetlana
  Putting an array for each string that is printed to a loop ClaudioSimonetti 1 354 Feb-05-2019, 12:52 PM
Last Post: perfringo
  Catching exceptions in embedded code no longer works on 3.7.2? FFMG 5 425 Feb-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Why A will be printed twice in the picture Shen 3 821 Jul-25-2018, 01:16 PM
Last Post: stranac
  0 error but Not printed Piqurs 5 946 Jul-14-2018, 04:43 PM
Last Post: buran