Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chick if object exists.
Hi, everybody!

I did a robot that run procedures on a website. But, I face 04 page configurations, as follow:

nav.find_element_by_xpath('/html/body/div[1]/div/div[3]/div[1]/div/div[2]/div/div/span[1]/p[1]')
nav.find_element_by_xpath('/html/body/div[1]/div/div[3]/div[1]/div/div[2]/div/div/span[1]/p[2]')
nav.find_element_by_xpath('/html/body/div[1]/div/div[3]/div[1]/div/div[2]/div/div/span[1]/p')
nav.find_element_by_xpath('/html/body/div[1]/div/div[3]/div[1]/div/div[2]/div/div/span[1]')
It happens because I get into many pages, and the text that I need to check are sometimes in one of those 04 cases. In this way, I declared all of them.

But, I got the error below, because it get into in a page and the second XPATH simply does not exists. But, the program closes and do not run.

So, does anyone know how can I check if that object exists before try to use it?

Thanks!

The error message is that:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/martinelli/PycharmProjects/ESAB/Zeca.py", line 50, in <module>
    nav.find_element_by_xpath('/html/body/div[1]/div/div[3]/div[1]/div/div[2]/div/div/span[1]/p[2]')
  File "/home/martinelli/PycharmProjects/RoboTRF2/venv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/selenium/webdriver/remote/webdriver.py", line 394, in find_element_by_xpath
    return self.find_element(by=By.XPATH, value=xpath)
  File "/home/martinelli/PycharmProjects/RoboTRF2/venv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/selenium/webdriver/remote/webdriver.py", line 978, in find_element
    'value': value})['value']
  File "/home/martinelli/PycharmProjects/RoboTRF2/venv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/selenium/webdriver/remote/webdriver.py", line 321, in execute
    self.error_handler.check_response(response)
  File "/home/martinelli/PycharmProjects/RoboTRF2/venv/lib/python3.6/site-packages/selenium/webdriver/remote/errorhandler.py", line 242, in check_response
    raise exception_class(message, screen, stacktrace)
selenium.common.exceptions.NoSuchElementException: Message: Unable to locate element: /html/body/div[1]/div/div[3]/div[1]/div/div[2]/div/div/span[1]/p[2]

Process finished with exit code 1
(Oct-05-2019, 07:27 PM)Martinelli Wrote: So, does anyone know how can I check if that object exists before try to use it?
You can wrap your code into try/except clause, e.g.
from selenium.common.exceptions import NoSuchElementException
# ... 
try:
    nav.find_element_by_xpath('/html/body/div[1]/div/div[3]/div[1]/div/div[2]/div/div/span[1]/p[1]')
except NoSuchElementException:
    pass # or do something
Thanks!!

It solved the problem!!

Great!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ReferenceError: weakly-referenced object no longer exists MrBitPythoner 17 11,256 Dec-14-2020, 07:34 PM
Last Post: buran
  p]Why os.path.exists("abc/d") and os.path.exists("abc/D") treat same rajeev1729 1 2,139 May-27-2020, 08:34 AM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE