Python Forum
Code for a circular wire??
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Code for a circular wire??
Hey everyone, so I'm trying to create a code for a circular wire carrying a current from which I can then apply the Biot-Savart law to. However, due to my lack of coding knowledge I'm stumped on how to exactly define my wire (which has a radius of 1). Below was my thought process.

theta = range(0, 2*math.pi)
r = 1.0 #Radius
x = r*math.cos(theta)
y = r*math.sin(theta)
wire = 2*math.pi*math.sqrt((x**2)+(y**2))

This may appear instantly wrong to those of you with decent coding experience. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (I just need a defined circumference representing my wire but I don't know how to properly code theta to include points between 0 and 2pi)
Google: 'python matplotlib' + 'Biot-Savart law'
I'm trying place a circular ring at the origin of (0,0,0) on a grid ranging from (-2,-2,-2) to (2,2,2). *Without the use of numpy*

def wire(radius, theta):
for theta in range(0, 2*math.pi):
r = 1.0
x = r*math.cos(theta)
y = r*math.sin(theta)
radius = math.sqrt((x**2)+(y**2))

return wire

Due to my lack of experience coding I'm not sure how to implement this grid. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
What exactly do you want your result to be? I don't know what it means to "place a circular ring" or "define a grid" in Python. If this is homework, posting the verbatim assignment will probably help us to help you.
Just merged threads after realizing this is the same topic. Please don't create new threads when the content is almost identical.
A circular ring of radius one unit with the center of the loop at (0,0,0). The ring is flat in the X-Y plane. Place this ring on a grid range from (-2,-2,-2) to (2,2,2).
Are you trying to make ASCII-art? Produce a tuple? A class? That's not specific enough.
What I'm trying to do is apply the Biot-Savart law to my ring (which would carry 1 unit of current). First I need to define this ring to my desired grid range so I can ultimately save the data and present the magnetic field as a vector field. Right now I just need to create an image of this ring on the grid. (Sorry for my lack of basic coding knowledge)
Google: 'python matplotlib' + 'Biot-Savart law'
you will find lots o examlpes
like: https://gist.github.com/mick001/5c805433046fa31aec36
and with graphics: http://firsttimeprogrammer.blogspot.com/...ld-of.html
I'm still confused, if your 'ring' is flat on an x, y grid, your coordinates are wrong. The 'x' axis would be -2, 0, 2 and the 'y' axis would be 2, 0, -2.  From the way you describe it, it sounds as if you are trying to create a 'unit circle'. This is a good place to start in order to get the the formula(s) involved: The Unit Circle. You will then need to convert the formula(s) to a form recognizable by Python. This can be done without Numpy. Displaying the grid on the other hand would not be as easy, For instance, Matplotlib uses Numpy. You could, I suppose, with a little work, use Python's builtin Turtle  Tongue
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Creating a circular matrix with one input omnisierra 18 5,593 Oct-02-2020, 01:51 PM
Last Post: perfringo