Python Forum
Code review subforum?
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Code review subforum?
I was wondering whether our forum would benefit from a separate subforum, intended for code review threads only. Last such thread I noticed is this one.
But code review questions (not neccesarily named as such) have popped up before too. Even Stack Overflow has a separate site for it.
I think code reviewing is an excellent practice for seasoned coders, and also a great learning help for beginners. My expectation (or hope) is that a separate subforum would encourage more code review questions. At the same time, the idea behind it is different enough from typical programming help questions, to have it in a separate place.
What say you? Smile
Do you not feel the "Scripts" forum suitable for that purpose? Right now, if someone posts a script or snippet of code, members are allowed to read it, offer criticisms, improvements and so on. There is of course, no guarantee that anyone will do any of those things, but the possibility exists.  I'm not how what a new forum or sub-forum would offer anything more.  Perhaps you could elaborate a bit more on your vision and how it would differ?
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
"Scrips" forum would be an excellent place for this, but as it currently stands, it gives the impression that it is meant as place for 'completed and/or quality' code, written by experienced coders (checking authors of threads also reveals it). Speaking for myself (and possibly others who have posted code review type questions in "General coding help" forum), I don't see "Scripts" forum as an encouraging place for beginners to post code there for it to be reviewed. It is just my impression, I'm not sure I can elaborate further. And my view is that code reviewing is just as important part of learning to code as is asking/answering typical "this doesn't work" or "how to do this" kind of questions. Thus I believe we should aim to make this forum a comfortable place for coders of all levels to post such questions. Again, perhaps this is already the case, with just my perception being crooked.

If admins were ok with code review type of questions being asked in "Scripts" forum, would it then be possible to give this hint in the forum description?
I mean, what is now "This is the place to post Scripts/Snippets that you want to share with the community.", to include a note that code review questions are a good fit for this forum as well.
Thank you.
(Aug-07-2017, 12:57 PM)j.crater Wrote: If admins were ok with code review type of questions being asked in "Scripts" forum, would it then be possible to give this hint in the forum description?
I mean, what is now "This is the place to post Scripts/Snippets that you want to share with the community.", to include a note that code review questions are a good fit for this forum as well.
I can add it to the short description. If you go into scripts, you will see a more detailed description that covers this already.
Recommended Tutorials:
Alright, it has now gotten a lot closer to what I had envisioned, it seems like a good compromise. Thank you.
"Scripts" used to be very open but ended up being a pile of very amateurish code.

A code review forum could be useful, but IMHO it should definitely be distinct, otherwise "scripts" will be back to the amateurish pile rather quickly, because even if there are comments after the code submission, I seriously doubt that initial authors will always post corrected code. And I fear that in some cases (code broken beyond repair) nobody will even have the time to write a usable critique.
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
most of the code is amateurish code in scripts. Since this forum switched ive thought i seen more useful stuff in there since the previous forum.

I think the scripts forum is the code review forum.....amateur or experienced. But i think the more advanced users would just post a link to their github repo or something instead.
Recommended Tutorials:
I don't know, there isn't really a whole lot there as is.  What if it's just renamed something like "Code Review / Completed Scripts"?  It seems weird to me that someone would share code without wanting some notes on how to improve it, anyway.
I just noticed the subforum title and description of Completed Scripts/Snippets, hasn't the title or at least the description been changed since? I think there was a change to make it more clear and inviting for posting code review questions there. And now it appears back to how it was originally. This thread got me thinking about it.
Actually i think it is changed to what you wanted it to. The description is the same as the description in the rules...which is what i copied last time to make it a better description of it being to review code.

What else would you like?
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Code Review thread nexusfactor 2 42,178 Oct-14-2017, 12:53 AM
Last Post: metulburr