Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coding Work Flow
Ahoy mates!

Curiosity question.

What is a good resource or method to design a coding project from scratch?

I have been a part of a few exercises where the presenter used about 100 packs of post-it notes and I am not sure if that is a normal process.

What are some ways that could make designing and organizing code in a project easier?

Thanks!

DJXIV
What size of 'coding project' we are talking about?
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
Honestly any size. I know once I become more proficient I might be able to write, write, write, but what are some tips to keep track of ideas, next steps, etc.

I hope my question makes sense, I feel it does not.

I was told to keep a regular journal and just keep my thoughts and projects in there in there.
There is much argument and discussion in the industry about how to do this. Basically there's four things you need to do:

1. Get the requirements. Specify what the program needs to do. That is, be very clear on what the goal is.
  2. Plan how the program is going to work. What are going to be the primary classes/object? What is the data going to look like? How is the process flow going to work? This can get as detailed as writing an outline of what each method will do, such that the outline will become the comments for the code. It is especially important to plan how different parts of the system will interact.
  3. Implement the plan. Write the actual code.
  4. Verify the code. Does it work? Does it meet the requirements?

The trick is that sometimes things don't go smoothly. You start planning, and you realize that there's a problem with the requirements: something is missing, or something is contradictory. You start programming and you realize the plan is based on faulty assumptions. You have to go back and redo the plan, and hope that doesn't reveal any problems with the requirements. It's good to have some idea how you are going to manage having to go back and make changes, which might affect work already done.

You might not even do it in the above order. Some people like to verify the code before it's written. That may sound odd, but what it means is that they write the tests the code has to pass first, then as they are writing the code they can make sure it passes each test along the way.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Hi Ichabod801,

Thank you! These kinds of responses make me reinforce my faith that I am on the right track and made the right choice.

Sometimes I become starry-eyed, but your explanation reaffirmed some of my core beliefs and shook some of my "fantasies".

"This is the way."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Python project/code like Microsoft Flow Jeff900 3 2,517 Apr-24-2020, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Jeff900
  Developing as a programmer by coding actual work glidecode 0 1,985 May-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: glidecode