Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comapring two files
Hi, i have 2 txt files which i want to compare.

File 1 has only dates.
File 2 has dates and some text.

All i want to do is out put in File 3 is all dates of File 1 and text against those dates in file 2.

can anyone help?
What have you tried? We're happy to help you solve this yourself, but we get a lot of "do it for me"-looking posts even though we don't do people's work for them :)
(Oct-02-2019, 09:39 PM)micseydel Wrote: What have you tried? We're happy to help you solve this yourself, but we get a lot of "do it for me"-looking posts even though we don't do people's work for them :)

Hi,

You are correct, so far what i did is i could open files and then use split to extract dates only. I cant figure our how to loop that for each line in file.

I would be great if you could or anyone else could point me to topic i need to read on or some url. As i am new to python so surely have not much experience in it.
As a suggestion, look into Python's "re" module (regex). Then you could match line by line from both files.

See here for more suggestions.

Also here for how to iterate through a file.

import re

s1 = "2019-10-03 text in the source file"
s2 = "2019-10-03 text from the file to be searched"

matches = re.search("^(\d{4}-\d{1,2}-\d{1,2})(.*)$", s1)
print(matches.group(1))

# Then use an if in
if matches.group(1) in s2:
    matches = re.search("^(\d{4}-\d{1,2}-\d{1,2})(.*)$", s2)
    print(matches.group(2))
Hi thanks for reply.

I used panda and numpy. IT works fine with small data but when i use my full file it does not work.
There are some column issues there but data is over thousand of rows so cant filter where it is messing up/
(Oct-03-2019, 01:58 PM)usman88 Wrote: Hi thanks for reply.

I used panda and numpy. IT works fine with small data but when i use my full file it does not work.
There are some column issues there but data is over thousand of rows so cant filter where it is messing up/

Post your code so we can take a look :)
hi sorry for late reply. i got that done this python and SQL. I would go for SQL as it helps me better for future purposes and data manipulation.
If the dates are formatted the same way in both files it's quite easy using dictionaries.

Make from a second file a dictionary with the dates as a key and the text as a value. Then you can get the dates from the first file and use each of it as a key to the dictionary and print the item. If there is no such a key, no match.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org