Python Forum
Converting .txt to .csv file
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting .txt to .csv file
Hi,

I'm needing a little help getting a text/tab delimited file imported in with python. I think I'm missing how to import the columns... This is what my text file looks like. I was thinking it was a tab delimited file but when I import it in from out Gerber cutters it comes in as a text file. So maybe I'm wrong somewhere there...

[Image: bsgmx0t.jpg]

I run the code below to try and convert it to .csv so I can convert it to .xlsx

import pandas as pd

save_path = "C:/Users/vhubb/Documents/Python Scripts"

in_filename = os.path.join(save_path,'mytxt.txt')
out_filename = os.path.join(save_path,'Output.csv')

df = pd.read_csv(in_filename, sep=";")
df.to_csv(out_filename, index=False)
But when I run this code it converts all columns into one

[Image: FSMvYQ9.jpg]

I'm thinking it's because of this part of the code with the ;

df = pd.read_csv(in_filename, sep=";")
Or am I going completely wrong with what I'm thinking. I'm trying to import this text file with specific columns into a .xlsx file that I created with python. The same .xlsx file (Cutter A - Marker Report.xlsx) that I mentioned in an earlier post. I was thinking I needed to convert it to a .csv file that I would then need to convert to a .xlsx file. From there I was going to figure out how to import it in to the correct columns for the Cutter A - Marker Report.xlsx that I have created.

[Image: Z5ztH61.jpg]

Thanks,
Veronica
(Jan-01-2021, 06:29 AM)SunWers Wrote: I'm thinking it's because of this part of the code with the ;

Easiest way to find out is to print out the dataframe and see how many columns you get. I can't see any ';' delimiters in your text file, though. The solution may be to use sep = None, this will force the Python engine which can automatically detect the separator (read the docs for details).

Pandas can also directly write to an Excel file, fyi.
(Jan-01-2021, 06:29 AM)SunWers Wrote: I was thinking I needed to convert it to a .csv file that I would then need to convert to a .xlsx file.
No need to convert to csv. Parse the input file and write to excel file. Your excel file has specific/custom format, so I guess you need to write using package like openpyxl, just using pandas.DataFrame.to_excel() will not work for you.

(Jan-01-2021, 06:29 AM)SunWers Wrote: I'm thinking it's because of this part of the code with the ;

you think it's tab-delimied, but use sep=";"? try with sep='\t' or let pandas engine to guess as suggested.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(Jan-01-2021, 06:52 AM)palladium Wrote:

Easiest way to find out is to print out the dataframe and see how many columns you get. I can't see any ';' delimiters in your text file, though. The solution may be to use sep = None, this will force the Python engine which can automatically detect the separator (read the docs for details).

Hi Palladium,

I just tried adding "sep = None" and this is the error message I get...

runfile('C:/Users/vhubb/Documents/Python Scripts/temp.py', wdir='C:/Users/vhubb/Documents/Python Scripts')
C:\Users\vhubb\Documents\Python Scripts\temp.py:37: ParserWarning: Falling back to the 'python' engine because the 'c' engine does not support regex separators (separators > 1 char and different from '\s+' are interpreted as regex); you can avoid this warning by specifying engine='python'.
  df = pd.read_csv(in_filename, sep="None")
If I'm understanding you right, you said panda's can write directly to a .xlsx file? I was thinking it should be able to but I couldn't find anything about how to import the .txt file (corresponding columns from .txt to .xlsx) to an existing .xlsx file. So I was thinking it needed to be converted over first.

Thanks so much for everyone's help here.

Veronica
(Jan-01-2021, 07:27 AM)buran Wrote:
(Jan-01-2021, 06:29 AM)SunWers Wrote: I was thinking I needed to convert it to a .csv file that I would then need to convert to a .xlsx file.
No need to convert to csv. Parse the input file and write to excel file. Your excel file has specific/custom format, so I guess you need to write using package like openpyxl, just using pandas.DataFrame.to_excel() will not work for you.

you think it's tab-delimied, but use sep=";"? try with sep='\t' or let pandas engine to guess as suggested.

Hi buran,

I tried setting sep='\t' and it still didn't do the trick. I will work on your suggestion above. I haven't tried using openpyxl. So I need to use a combination of openpyxl and `pandas.DataFrame.to_excel()? Not sure how to set that up yet but I will work on that now and see what I can do.

Thanks,
Veronica
can you upload sample input file? Looking at the screenshot again, it is more likely a fixed-width file.
palladium likes this post
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(Jan-01-2021, 07:41 AM)buran Wrote: can you upload sample input file? Looking at the screenshot again, it is more likely a fixed-width file.

Sorry, crazy question.... how do I upload a file?
(Jan-01-2021, 07:31 AM)SunWers Wrote:
(Jan-01-2021, 06:52 AM)palladium Wrote: Easiest way to find out is to print out the dataframe and see how many columns you get. I can't see any ';' delimiters in your text file, though. The solution may be to use sep = None, this will force the Python engine which can automatically detect the separator (read the docs for details).

Hi Palladium,

I just tried adding "sep = None" and this is the error message I get...

runfile('C:/Users/vhubb/Documents/Python Scripts/temp.py', wdir='C:/Users/vhubb/Documents/Python Scripts')
C:\Users\vhubb\Documents\Python Scripts\temp.py:37: ParserWarning: Falling back to the 'python' engine because the 'c' engine does not support regex separators (separators > 1 char and different from '\s+' are interpreted as regex); you can avoid this warning by specifying engine='python'.
  df = pd.read_csv(in_filename, sep="None")

It's not an error message. Its a warning to let you know that the pandas engine is using a non default method to parse your file (the default is C engine which does not guessing delimiters; pandas is telling you that it has switched to the python engine which I understand is slower but has some built in support for guessing delimiters). If you add the keyword argument engine = 'python' as per the warning message, the message should disappear.

An error message will tell you what type of error it is (e.g. "TypeError" or "ValueError") followed by a message.

If you don't see anything else it means the process is successful. Print out the resulting dataframe to verify.

As buran pointed out you can use pandas' built in to_excel() method, which dumps the dataframe into an xlsx file format. It is customisable to some extent,b ut as (s)he astutely pointed out, given your complex needs openpyxl may be a better bet.
Make it a zip (it will not allow txt file because it can be copy/pasted, but in this case we want to check the delimiter) and attach it

Or use some third-party service and upload the file there. Then share a link here
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

I'm thinking this might work. This is from my google drive

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j-Uc3XL...sp=sharing

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Converting a json file to a dataframe with rows and columns eyavuz21 13 4,366 Jan-29-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: eyavuz21
  [split] Help- converting file with pyton script eltomassito 6 3,232 Jul-02-2021, 05:29 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Help- converting file with pyton script grinleon 3 2,472 Sep-23-2020, 11:48 AM
Last Post: grinleon