Python Forum
Creating a simple rate limiter.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creating a simple rate limiter.
I have been doing some stuff with reddit for a while now. I haven't used an api key with it, since I wasnt to make the program as simple to set up as possible. Of course, that means I'm getting rate serious limiting. This is probably caused by reddit's api blocking useragents like 'Python/urrlib'. I found Reddit's api rules and obviously I must follow these rules. (Things like changing the useragent, I have done). The hardest part is having to add a rate limiter to my program since it was never designed to have one, meaning I'm having to bodge one in that fits around my already working program. It wasn't too hard to make but it doesn't quite work. Here's a simplified version of my main script, with the rate limiter:
def counter(func): #counts how many times function was called
	def inner1(*args, **kwargs):
		inner1.calls += 1
		return func(*args, **kwargs)
	inner1.calls = 0
	inner1.__name__= func.__name__
	return inner1

class Links():
	secs = 0
	isLimited = False
	reddit_calls = 0

def create_timer():
		thread = Thread(target = Links.timer)
		thread.start()

def timer():
		while Links.secs != 60:
			time.sleep(2)
			Links.secs += 1
			if (Links.secs >= 60 and not Links.isLimited):
				Links.secs = 0

def rate_limit():
		Links.isLimited = True
		Links.reddit_calls = 0
		Links.timer() #waits 60 secs without resetting
		Links.isLimited = False
		thread = Thread(target = Links.timer)
		thread.start()

def parse_link(link):
		if(link == "reddit" and Links.reddit_calls < 60 and Links.secs < 60):
			if(not Links.isLimited):
				print(Links.Reddit.reddit_url(link), Links.reddit_calls,)
		elif(Links.reddit_calls >= 60 and Links.secs <= 60):
			print("rate limited!!")
			Links.rate_limit()
		elif(link == "somethingelse"):
			print(link)

class Reddit():
		@counter
		def reddit_url(parsed):
			#do some stuff with the link
			Links.reddit_calls = Links.Reddit.reddit_url.calls
			return parsed

Links.create_timer()

for i in range(65):
	Links.parse_link("reddit")
	Links.parse_link("somethingelse")
The output looks like this:
Output:
reddit 1 somethingelse reddit 2 somethingelse reddit 3 somethingelse reddit 4 somethingelse reddit 5 somethingelse reddit 6 somethingelse reddit 7 somethingelse reddit 8 somethingelse reddit 9 somethingelse reddit 10 somethingelse reddit 11 somethingelse reddit 12 somethingelse ...... #all the way up until 60 rate limited!!!!
What it should do:
Output:
reddit 1 somethingelse reddit 2 somethingelse reddit 3 somethingelse reddit 4 somethingelse reddit 5 somethingelse reddit 6 somethingelse reddit 7 somethingelse reddit 8 somethingelse reddit 9 somethingelse reddit 10 somethingelse reddit 11 somethingelse reddit 12 somethingelse ...... #all the way up until 60 rate limited!!!! somethingelse somethingelse #it should print 'somethingelse' 5 more times somethingelse somethingelse somethingelse
The main difference is that the threading isn't working. I basically need to be processing the reddit links on their own thread. At the moment, if reddit links get rate limited then every link is rate limited. I need it to rate limit just the reddit links, hence why 'somethingelse' else should appear 5 more times because that isn't a reddit link, and it shouldn't get rate limited.
What do I need to change to fix this?
(Threading may not be the best approach but really it's probably the easiest way to implement it without having to rewrite the whole 'Links' class.)

EDIT: I should probably do my best to explain what the script does.
It starts by creating a 'timer' thread. This timer thread activates a while loop that count for 60 seconds, then resets back to 0 if it hits 60.
Every time the 'reddit_url' function is called, it adds 1 to the call count.
The rate limiting occurs if the function has been called 60 times, in 60 seconds or less. If it hits this limit, the function 'rate_limit' is called. This sets the 'islimited' variable to true, to stop the 'reddit_url' function from running (since I set call count back to 0). It then calls the 'timer' function again. This counts up for 60 seconds but rather than resetting to 0, it just returns (since 'isLimited' is true, it wont pass the if statement)
Once the 60 seconds is up, 'isLimited' becomes false, and it creates the timer thread again to start the whole process again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modify an Energy Model to account for year dependent interest rate rather than only t giovanniandrean 0 426 Oct-10-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: giovanniandrean
  time setup for realtime plotting of serial datas at high sampling rate alice93 6 3,748 Jan-07-2022, 05:41 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  How to create a speed limiter for a car Tyrel 3 2,895 Feb-24-2021, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Tyrel
  Need help creating a simple script Nonameface 12 4,550 Jul-14-2020, 02:10 PM
Last Post: BitPythoner
  How to Calculate CPU, Disk, Memory and Network utilization rate skvivekanand 1 2,046 Jun-16-2020, 08:53 PM
Last Post: jefsummers
  Creating a List with many variables in a simple way donnertrud 1 2,040 Jan-11-2020, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Clunk_Head
  Stock Rate of Change (based on open and current price) Not Working firebird 1 2,368 Jul-29-2019, 07:10 AM
Last Post: perfringo
  How to control frequency sampling rate my dial_tone through AJAX to flask server? Hadad 4 3,238 Jul-26-2019, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Hadad