Python Forum
Decent GUI library?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decent GUI library?
I just started coding with python. Before I used Java and for my GUIs I used Swing, which includes the Window Builder which is nice and handy. So I started looking for a good library in python to make GUIs. I found kivy and installed it, as well as the kivy designer, however the designer is deprecated and doesnt even work anymore. However it took my way too long to install kivy and get it running, and now it doesnt work, which kinda makes me mad.

So my question is, what is the best/decent GUI library for python with a designer?
Kivy is more for mobile apps. Are you making this for mobile apps or desktop?
PyQt has a designer.

WxPython has WxGlade for a designer i believe? I dont use designers so i am not familiar with the libraries designer aspects.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Apr-22-2020, 09:02 PM)metulburr Wrote: Kivy is more for mobile apps. Are you making this for mobile apps or desktop?
PyQt has a designer.

WxPython has WxGlade for a designer i believe? I dont use designers so i am not familiar with the libraries designer aspects.

Oh okay, yeah I make desktop ones. Then I will take a look at PyQt. Also why dont you use designers?
(Apr-22-2020, 09:02 PM)metulburr Wrote: WxPython has WxGlade for a designer i believe?
Yes, also wxFormBuilder, but I used wxGlade.

There is also Glade for GTK (PyGObject)
As to PyQt and QtDesigner - note there is also PySide as alternative to PyQt (see comparison). Also this recent link, posted by @Larz60+ in another thread https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n...le-Qt-Fork
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

There are several GUI libraries for Python. PyQt is one of the most complete ones.
It comes with a GUI designer, but you can also do it manually if you want.
There are lots of examples like these and these.
I like designers to get a rough draft GUI, find it faster and better than coding - the changes I make (or mistakes I make) are visible right away. I use wxPython, have used wxGlade and wxFormBuilder. wxGlade seems to be keeping up, whereas occasionally the code generated by FormBuilder will use deprecated items. Everything has it's own glitches and gotchas, but wxGlade seems easier to work around. I can take the wxGlade output, add my functions to handle the buttons, and simple programs are done.

Some tips that will be handy on your first day:

wxGlade makes your form a class. Good design. It also includes a dunder main to load and run for simple calculator style apps

Buttons and input boxes (text_ctrl) are scoped to the class. Labels are scoped to the initialization functions by default. If you use labels for your output you will need to change the scope of those labels (self.label_1 instead of label_1 when defined and placed).

The output file does not default to the name of your project file. You need to find and rename, or set in your preferences.