Python Forum
Declaring a Global Variable in a Function
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Declaring a Global Variable in a Function
I am sorry. I know that this is probably a stupid question. But I am just learning Python and have spent hours trying to figure out what I am doing wrong when trying to declare a global variable in a function. What I am trying to do is modify a variable in the function so that the changed value will be associated with it outside the function. However, when I try to use the variable outside the function it reverts to the initial value set before it was changed, and of course if I don't set an initial value outside the function I get an error saying the variable is not defined. This is a simplified example of what I am trying to understand:

solution = 0

def perform_math():
    global solution
    x = 1
    x = 2
    solution = x + y
    return solution

print(solution)
The program prints 0 instead of 3 when I want it to print 3.
Well, you never call the function for one thing. Functions don't do anything until you call them. But really, globals are the wrong way to do this. Use return instead:

solution = 0

def perform_math(x, y):
    return x + y

solution = perform_math(1, 2)

print(solution)
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
Don't use globals unless absolutely necessary, it will get you in trouble as your programs grow longer.
pass arguments and return values instead.
Example:

def perform_math(x, y):
    return x + y
print(perform_math(1, 2))
result:
Output:
Thanks to those who replied. The example I posted was too simplified. The actual program is more complicated and uses a command in a gui button to run the function. I think that is where my problem is. I can get the result I want if I return the global variable in the function when using a normal function call. Rather than take up more of your time, I will try to rewrite using a conventional function call.
With GUIs you should be using classes, and then you can use class attributes to pass variables between methods without using explicit return values.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Variable for the value element in the index function?? Learner1 8 545 Jan-20-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: Learner1
  Variable is not defined error when trying to use my custom function code fnafgamer239 4 511 Nov-23-2023, 02:53 PM
Last Post: rob101
  It's saying my global variable is a local variable Radical 5 1,097 Oct-02-2023, 12:57 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Printing the variable from defined function jws 7 1,161 Sep-03-2023, 03:22 PM
  Function parameter not writing to variable Karp 5 892 Aug-07-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Karp
  declaring object parameters with type JonWayn 2 856 Dec-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: JonWayn
  Retrieve variable from function labgoggles 2 999 Jul-01-2022, 07:23 PM
Last Post: labgoggles
  Cant transfer a variable onto another function KEIKAS 5 1,835 Feb-09-2022, 10:17 PM
  Function global not readable by 'main' fmr300 1 1,295 Jan-16-2022, 01:18 AM
  Variable scope - "global x" didn't work... ptrivino 5 2,978 Dec-28-2020, 04:52 PM
Last Post: ptrivino