Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Default Avatars
The 80286 didn't come out until 1982. I didn't like programming it because of
the non-multiplexed address and data buses. But it served it was used in just
about all PC's at the time (except for the really good ones which used Motorola
68000 based processors (one of my favorites)).

fortunately for me, I used embedded systems almost exclusively during this time
in spectro-chemical design (plasma and atomic-absorption spectrometers). One such
design used a 68000 as a dispatcher, with 8051's as couriers in a distributed arrangement.
The 68000 was the liaison between user and various processes such as sample control, cooling
flow, gas (we used nitrous oxide and argon), etc. Each process had a dedicated 8051 for it's
control.

It was really a beautiful system (all built in house).
(Mar-16-2017, 03:31 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: The 80286 didn't come out until 1982. I didn't like programming it because of
the non-multiplexed address and data buses.
Uh? What has the bus multiplexing got to do with programming?
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
All of these are before my time. The oldest computer I've seen was a Cray-2.
Quote:Uh? What has the bus multiplexing got to do with programming?

That was a mistake, It was really the memory segmentation and not the buss. Each memory address had a segment
register (16 bits) which was added to an offset in each memory instruction. This made it difficult when writing in
assembler (or even C) to figure real address easily. I couldn't remember exactly how it worked, so looked it up. An example from
wikipedia:
Quote:The segment address is always added to a 16-bit offset in the instruction to yield a linear address, which is the same as physical address in this mode. For instance, the segmented address 06EFh:1234h (here the suffix "h" means hexadecimal) has a segment selector of 06EFh, representing a segment address of 06EF0h, to which we add the offset, yielding the linear address 06EF0h + 1234h = 08124h.
how did chizimakogeorge get a cool one? oh wait
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.