Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't install MySQLdb/MySQL
Vitals: MacOS, Python 2.7

I've found myself in a catch22. I need to connect to a MySQL database. In order to get MySQL too work with python, I need to get MySQL and the MySQL connector.

In order to get this, I need pip. In order to get pip, I either need to download the source - which fails when i run the .py install - or I need to use easy_install pip.

When I run easy_install, I receive an error (even if im just checking the version).

MyComputer:~ user$ easy_install --version
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/easy_install-2.7", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('setuptools==18.5', 'console_scripts', 'easy_install')()
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.13-intel/egg/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 484, in load_entry_point
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.13-intel/egg/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2707, in load_entry_point
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.13-intel/egg/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2325, in load
  File "build/bdist.macosx-10.13-intel/egg/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2331, in resolve
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/setuptools/command/easy_install.py", line 46, in <module>
    from setuptools.archive_util import unpack_archive
  File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Extras/lib/python/setuptools/archive_util.py", line 15, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import ensure_directory, ContextualZipFile
ImportError: cannot import name ContextualZipFile
The suggested fixes I've found suggest opening archive_util.py and removing the "import ContextualZipFile". However, the python that the system is referring to is the copy that came preinstalled on the system. I cannot make changes to this one.

I have another copy under User - its archive_util.py does not import ContextualZipFile.

I attempted to look for a way to use the /user version instead - suggestions were to modify ~/.bash-profile. This did not work.

I've been at this for days and I'm nearly at wits end.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mysql and mysql.connector error lostintime 2 687 Oct-03-2023, 10:25 PM
Last Post: lostintime
  Mysql error message: Lost connection to MySQL server during query tomtom 6 16,127 Feb-09-2022, 09:55 AM
Last Post: ibreeden
Question Debian 11 Bullseye | Python 3.9.x | pip install mysql-connector-python-rf problems BrandonKastning 4 6,696 Feb-05-2022, 08:25 PM
Last Post: BrandonKastning
  MySQLdb._exceptions.ProgrammingError: not enough arguments for format string. farah97 0 3,342 Jan-22-2020, 03:49 AM
Last Post: farah97
  How to acquire MySQLdb sunstar20 8 5,998 Apr-23-2018, 05:16 AM
Last Post: sunstar20
  MySQLdb, problem with query with user-defined variables buran 6 6,411 Feb-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Last Post: buran