Python Forum
Deploying Python-based excel plugin
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deploying Python-based excel plugin
Apologies if this question has already been answered or is a bit amateur.
I'm just starting on Python development (have experience with C#, VB before)

I have a pretty basic requirement. I would like to write a Python script that automates a certain analytical task based on user-defined inputs, while retaining the interface in Excel.

What I would like in terms of user experience is:
The user should be able to run the underlying Python code from a button on the Excel ribbon, without having any Python-based dependencies (e.g. installing xlwings or even having to install Python on their systems).
I would like to ship the installation package for installing the Excel plugin which would take care of all dependencies required to run the Python code.

Is this possible, or am I better off relying on Microsoft based solutions?
After spending the entire morning looking around for a solution, I believe this might not be as "basic" as I thought.

Seems the Excel ribbon can only be added to using Visual Studio C# or .Net (not Python directly).

Within Python, am I then better off packaging everything using py2exe or similar (i.e. all dependencies including Python itself, xlwings, numpy, etc.) to generate a single .exe file and a single .xlsm which runs VBA (that in turn calls Python)
I don't know anything about modifying the ribbon (what happens in older versions of Excel, before there was a ribbon?), but IronPython runs on .net, and has full access to anything c# does. Since it runs on .net, they don't need python installed on their system, either (I think... you might need to ship an ironpython runtime or something).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deploying to ML Model to web application Scoder 2 2,633 Aug-31-2020, 07:32 AM
Last Post: hussainmujtaba
  Python Package for deploying python code in Excel on machines without python UGuntupalli 2 6,861 Jul-31-2019, 04:05 AM
Last Post: UGuntupalli
  Create selection box to pass string value based on uniques in Excel column sneakysnek 1 2,483 Nov-18-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Stefanovietch