Python Forum
Develop on Mac and run on Raspberry Pi?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Develop on Mac and run on Raspberry Pi?
Hello. I'm new to Python and basically new to programming. (I did some JavaScript, Cold Fusion, and basic SQL many years ago.)

I am going to be buying a Raspberry Pi and trying to write a relatively simple program that randomly selects audio files and plays them when a signal is received. The Raspberry Pi will go in an antique phone and when the handset is picked up, the random audio file will play through the speaker in the handset.

I haven't even looked at Python yet, but read that it's the preferred programming language for the Raspberry Pi.

My question is -- can I develop the program on my MacBook Pro and then run it on the Raspberry Pi?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Hello and welcome to Python & forum!
Yes, you sure can develop a Python program on a Mac and run it on the Raspberry Pi. Only thing you won't be able to do is test the code on Mac *if* your code will be using Rapsberry Pi's hardware functionality (GPIOs etc.). But that shouldn't be a problem - with a serial connection to RPi you can 'scp' Python code files to RPi and run them. Good luck and stop by to let us know how your project is going, or if you'll need help :D

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  develop android app on Win env OJ1 2 2,848 Apr-15-2018, 12:31 PM
Last Post: OJ1
  What is best framework to develop webservice in Django? hari3710 3 75,388 Dec-21-2016, 10:42 PM
Last Post: nilamo