Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Django question
Hello, I am a total python newbie and I am teaching myself python, I like to write a simple webapp in python. A lot of tutorials say that I need to install Django framework.

My web server is a run of the mill Apache listen to port 80.

But as I understand Django itself is also a server run on port 8000 or something other then port 80.

Now my question is does it mean when the user go to my python webapp, they have to access the ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8000? Thanks.
(Aug-28-2017, 12:40 PM)tony1812 Wrote: My web server is a run of the mill Apache listen to port 80.
This is your web server,but Django comes with own build in web server that run on localhost 8000.
You can install Django on your web server,if you want to be a own host.
The most common way is to use a Python friendly host(take more about later),
if want to share content with the world.
Quote:Now my question is does it mean when the user go to my python webapp, they have to access the ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8000? Thanks.
No this development server running on localhost.
This mean that you can build a finish web app,if happy with it and want to share with other then you find a host.
You leave the development server behind,
and install on host server eg Gunicorn and Nginx.

Take a look at this post.
Last in post i go trough some Python friendly hosts.
I do all my web development with Flask.
There also i demo with Flask in that post.
Flask is good if you want to learn web development in Python.
Django is also good,but all the build in stuff can confusing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Django: How to automatically substitute a variable in the admin page at Django 1.11? m0ntecr1st0 3 3,246 Jun-30-2019, 12:21 AM
Last Post: scidam
  Question about dot notation syntax (Django source) Drone4four 3 4,047 Feb-25-2018, 02:42 AM
Last Post: knackwurstbagel