Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Django
how many Django hanging out around these forums?  is there any reason i should not use Django?  i need to set up a website that allows users to sign up and get an account, and login and buy a service by the day, week, month, or year.  i need to be able to gather a list of paid customers for that day, every day, so my software knows who can use the service.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
You could use Django. That sounds fairly simple, so any framework could work.

Django's sort of like an 800lb gorilla. It can certainly do the job, and a lot of the time it's great at what it does. But if you want to do something against the convention, you should get ready for a tough fight. That said, if you do follow the conventions, the tools they have to auto-generate code for you are pretty good.

Django is basically our Ruby on Rails.
i'll play around with the mod-wsgi i have working now. it so far seems to be web stuff the way i have done it before and am familiar with except for apache+python approach i wanted. if i run into major trouble i'll ask if that is solvable by tools you guys already use (know how to do it with that tool).

the first website i made was in 1995 and my first corporate site was in 1997 (a multi-page tax-form shopping site done entirely in C under SunOS).

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
(Jun-03-2017, 02:23 AM)Skaperen Wrote: done entirely in C under SunOS
Do you still use Sun pcs?  They had some in the computer lab that I played with now and then when at college, and they were surprisingly cool.
(Aug-14-2017, 02:53 PM)nilamo Wrote:
(Jun-03-2017, 02:23 AM)Skaperen Wrote: done entirely in C under SunOS
Do you still use Sun pcs?  They had some in the computer lab that I played with now and then when at college, and they were surprisingly cool.
i have a couple of old 32-bit ones (SparcStation 5/70 and SparcStation 5/85).  one has an old Solaris on it.  the other has OpenBSD on it. they use old cumbersome CRT displays. which i have.  i want to get rid of the CRTs but my LCD doesn't seem to like the video coming from the SparcStations.  also, the internal HDs use/need a special SCSI+power connector that apparently is no longer available.  so i am stuck with the 2 GB drives they came with.

way back when i only had the 5/70 and LFS (Linux From Scratch) just came out and was still for x86, i did LFS on there.  i scripted it, too.   it took about 55 hours (2.3 days) to build on the 70 MHz machine.

then i made a bootable Linux CD that would boot up on either Sparc or x86.  those were fun days.  now i am automating cloud stuff with Python.