Python Forum
During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred
i pressed ^C and got:
Output:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "tree.py", line 52, in <module> names=sorted(listdir(path)) NotADirectoryError: [Errno 20] Not a directory: 'projects/avlmap-0.12.4/CONFIG/readsymlink.c' During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: Traceback (most recent call last): File "xyzzy.py", line 52, in <module> names=sorted(listdir(path)) KeyboardInterrupt
part of the reason for this is that line 52 is in a try: clause, so exceptions are being handled there.

try:
            names=sorted(listdir(path))
        except:
            names=[]
what if i wanted to specifically handle KeyboardInterrupt in the code that calls this code, and the KeyboardInterrupt happens during the handling of NotADirectoryError, or other kinds of exceptions is cases of other code? will it be able to keep the exceptions apart when there is a handler for each? what if i am doing a recursive call from inside of a try: clause in a recursive function for an asynchronous kind of exception (like KeyboardInterrupt) and two (or more) such exceptions happen together while the recursion is at least two (or more) deep? i am concerned that the nesting of exception events won't always be handled as if they all happened separately.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
This is why you declare which exceptions you are trying to catch explicitly, so that other exceptions can propagate as normal:

try:
    names=sorted(listdir(path))
except NotADirectoryError:
    names=[]
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
i do that in most cases. but this is a case where i want any failure of os.listdir() to be handled. so, i guess, your suggestion means i need to research os.listdir() to find out what all it could raise and list them all on the except.

my real concern is nesting of exception handling, and a 2nd exception being raised (of exactly the same type of exception) before the 1st one completes being handled. could it fall back to the previously defined handler or could it handled as a "during" case? how would a "during" case actually be handled in this kind of situation with regard to running code to handle it? i want to be sure that N exceptions result in the handler code running not only N times, but in the correct order. it seems that by default, an internal try trap in effect during except handling (for it to see the cases of another exception during the handling of one).

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
The current exception handling was done as PEP 3134. It explains what is going on.

Note that any error coming out of os.listdir() is likely going to be a file error. In 3.x, those are all subclasses of OSError, so you could just try to catch that. It would still be better to target specific errors, though.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
what if, in the future, there are new exceptions added that os.listdir() might produce? i can only imagine that they, too, would be subclasses of OSError. so it might be good to have some, but not too much, breadth of scope, catching those errors. so in this case, catching OSError sounds like a reasonable idea.

Skaperen Wrote:what if i wanted to specifically handle KeyboardInterrupt in the code that calls this code, and the KeyboardInterrupt happens during the handling of NotADirectoryError
It doesn't prevent you from catching KeyboardInterrupt.
import os
import time

try:
    try:
        names = sorted(os.listdir('foo.txt'))
    except NotADirectoryError:
        time.sleep(2)
except KeyboardInterrupt as exc:
    print("Hello, I caught KeyboardInterrupt!")
but catching different exceptions happens in different for reasons like wat that piece of code was designed for. the different codes are designed for different purposes by different teams.

Quote:catching different exceptions happens in different for reasons like wat that piece of code was designed for
What you want is not clear. I'm saying that having FooError happen during the handling of BarError doesn't remove any possibilities for the code catching FooError. It is a supplement of information which can potentially be exploited by the code.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  custom exception dcr 1 235 Feb-17-2024, 08:19 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  an uncatchable asyncio exception from in 3.12.2 but not 3.11.5 wangli 0 208 Feb-17-2024, 04:10 AM
Last Post: wangli
  use of shutil.copytree with ENOTDIR exception yan 2 839 Nov-29-2023, 03:02 PM
Last Post: yan
  Why am I getting this TypeError Exception? Affinity 8 895 Jul-07-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  which exception should be thrown for a sequence of the wrong length? Skaperen 1 826 Jan-06-2023, 04:13 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
Question log.exception() without arguments in old Python versions? cthart 5 1,116 Nov-19-2022, 07:09 PM
  how to write exception error into logger mg24 3 947 Nov-15-2022, 04:20 PM
Last Post: insharazzak
Star python exception handling handling .... with traceback mg24 3 1,215 Nov-09-2022, 07:29 PM
  create my exception to my function korenron 2 757 Nov-09-2022, 01:50 PM
Last Post: korenron
  'dict()' Has an Exception? htran3 2 716 Nov-04-2022, 08:29 AM
Last Post: htran3