Python Forum
Poll: What to do with the shoutbox
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Disable shoutbox and not use at all
0%
0 0%
Restrict shoutbox to admins and mods only
10.00%
1 10.00%
Restrict shoutbox to admins, mods, and super users (1000+ posts)
0%
0 0%
Restrict shoutbox to admins, mods, and users (50+ posts)
20.00%
2 20.00%
Have shoutbox to all users above 5 posts
70.00%
7 70.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Embedded chat room
Quote:Are top/bottom the only options?  Because floating along the side of the page (so it's still visible regardless of where you scroll) would also be cool.
I believe i could have it floating on the side. But to be honest, im not sure i (personally) like that. But if others do then thats a different story. Currently the options are restricted to just the index. I would like to try to make it into a new page so we dont have to scroll down, but just click a button at the top. Currently it is only working if it is in the index though. As for the placement (order), i can place the shoutbox anywhere on the index
Recommended Tutorials:
Floating at the side of the page seems kind of cramped to me.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
I would prefer it at the top. 

But i worry about people asking questions there instead of in the forums. For one the content is more important to use at this moment to record. And any questions asked and answered within the shoutbox are not logged and will be deleted at some point automatically, nor is it organized. 

But i guess that would happen anywhere, a lot off times people were asking questions on IRC and we just told them to post it in the forums, etc. So i dont know. 

Would people like it on top?
Recommended Tutorials:
Bottom is fine with me. As I mostly look at the forums and not the chatbox, at the bottom, it's out of the way.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
(Oct-05-2016, 02:45 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: Bottom is fine with me. As I mostly look at the forums and not the chatbox, at the bottom, it's out of the way.

+1
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
(Oct-05-2016, 04:26 PM)wavic Wrote:
(Oct-05-2016, 02:45 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: Bottom is fine with me. As I mostly look at the forums and not the chatbox, at the bottom, it's out of the way.

+1

That is what the like is for
Recommended Tutorials:
Quote:Might be nice for admins and mods (if that's possible), but for regular users?
There are times when a chatroom is better than the forums.
Recommended Tutorials:
It turns out that none of regular users or the admins is using it for froth
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
It's still useful if you want to have real-time chat with someone, and you tell them that in their thread.
Quote:It turns out that none of regular users or the admins is using it for froth
  • we are currently trying to increase our database (the chat does not count as that) 
  • The IRC chat is the same...vacant for days...and then a lot of activity, then vacant again, etc. But you only see it when your logged in 24/7, here you dont have to be, and can still see the messages of when you were not here (not the same with IRC) 
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the #chat thing? pyzyx3qwerty 5 3,116 May-24-2020, 09:05 AM
Last Post: metulburr
  chat metulburr 0 29,204 Apr-03-2017, 04:56 PM
  Bug with the embedded forum chat? buran 6 5,524 Apr-01-2017, 01:52 PM
  chat iframe no longer working after https metulburr 1 2,864 Jan-28-2017, 02:25 PM
  Chat - autonaming nilamo 4 6,524 Sep-17-2016, 11:47 PM