Python Forum
Employers ask on application for if you receive(d) SNAP, Temporary Assistance, or SSI
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Employers ask on application for if you receive(d) SNAP, Temporary Assistance, or SSI
Im mainly asking here because i know a user did some hiring for a company. Although it might of just been the portion of verifying code, not sure.

Isnt it illegal for employers to ask such a question?

They sneak this in through a survey that you *must* submit with your application. But it is not considered "apart" of your application. Even though you cannot submit your application without submitting the survey. And there is no "i dont want to answer" option, there is only yes or no.

Ive heard that employers get a tax credit for hiring the "poor" or long-termed unemployed, and this is their method to bypass the privacy laws. However i also heard that the label "poor" is just as bad as "metally ill" or "convicted felon" as being labeled "lazy". And employers would only want to hire just enough lazy people to get the tax credit, and no more after.

Im assuming whether you get or have received assistance is private and cannot be attained by the employers anyways. So in the event you do get assistance and lie on the application, they could never verify that you lied to fire you afterwords? lol

Does anyone know of any accuracy on this?
Recommended Tutorials:
Nothing is as bad as being a convicted felon. It's perfectly legal to refuse to hire someone solely on that basis. In most states, an employer can legally refuse to hire you solely based on an arrest with no conviction.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Aug-28-2017, 01:39 PM)metulburr Wrote: Isnt it illegal for employers to ask such a question?

Does anyone know of any accuracy on this?

Depends on where you live, which laws govern your life.

For example in Germany, you are legally allowed to lie to your employer if she asks you about being pregnant and related issues. It's just none of their business. Then again, mosbunal people don't know their law very well and might just be intimidated into answering truthfully nonetheless.
(Aug-28-2017, 01:59 PM)ichabod801 Wrote: Nothing is as bad as being a convicted felon. It's perfectly legal to refuse to hire someone solely on that basis. In most states, an employer can legally refuse to hire you solely based on an arrest with no conviction.

It seems like employers categorize people in two columns of "wanted" and "unwanted". Unwanted could have various tiers and convicted felon would surely be the last.

(Aug-28-2017, 02:36 PM)Kebap Wrote: For example in Germany, you are legally allowed to lie to your employer if she asks you about being pregnant and related issues. It's just none of their business.
I believe its the same here too (NY).
Recommended Tutorials:
Over 60 is most definitely unwanted in most companies.
I can't prove it, but sure seems true.