Python Forum
Even if Atom is on the whisker menu, impossible to run it
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Even if Atom is on the whisker menu, impossible to run it
Hi all. For the moment I left my new big PC(64 bits, double boot) and I work now on my 9 years old 32 bits PC. It is on Linux. I go to the whisker menu, software library. It proposes "Atom". I think why not. I install it, in the regular way. I return to the whisker menu, I find "Atom". I click on it; it does not work. First time I see an application on whisker menu that does not work. Have you an idea ??
Could you provide any output error?
Like running "atom" using the console?
I went of course to the console. The only thing I know is: locate atom. About 100 lines appeared. So atom is in many places. I am not strong enough with the console to find the paths where atom is. I should much appreciate if you know how to do with the console.
When you type "atom" in the console what is the output: "command not found"?
Which distro are you using?
When I type "atom" on the console it finds nothing. After 2 seconds it appears as the previous. I think that if you have not a 32 bits computer, like mine, it will be very difficult for you to help. And also I ask myself if the 32 bits are considered as dead.
With the console, at the top of the pyramid,if i type atabtab, I find "atom" and "atom.apm", but I don't know how to run atom from there.
Try run it on the console like this:
atom --safe
This will open atom without loading any packages. Maybe this could be a start.
I tried atom --safe. No success. I tried apt: success, it runs. So atom runs nowhere.
Strange things happen. I went on my 64 bits(Linux) and there I successfully installed a snap "atom". I looked at the dictionnary. Snap means quick. Although it is a quick version, it works well on my 64 bits PC.
At last I found something tell that Atom is only valuable for the 64 bits:
Linux

Atom is only available for 64-bit Linux systems.

Configure your distribution's package manager to install and update Atom by following the Linux installation instructions in the Flight Manual. You will also find instructions on how to install Atom's official Linux packages without using a package repository, though you will not get automatic updates after installing Atom this way.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to expand and collapse individual parts of the code in Atom Lora 2 1,104 Oct-06-2022, 07:32 AM
Last Post: Lora
  Folding in ATOM XavierPlatinum 5 1,169 Sep-11-2022, 09:21 PM
Last Post: XavierPlatinum
  Impossible to cleanly uninstall Python 3.8.9 Ftaniere 2 1,647 Sep-01-2022, 10:38 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  #'ing out several lines in Atom Mark17 2 1,832 Oct-24-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Mark17
  Atom editor issue with python 3 johnmick 2 2,864 Jan-25-2019, 10:17 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  impossible to exit from the file sylas 8 4,241 Sep-13-2018, 02:14 PM
Last Post: sylas
  How to connect Atom and Python? Jack_Sparrow 1 3,714 May-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  error with python and atom editor josebogota 1 2,678 Mar-20-2018, 06:47 PM
Last Post: micseydel
  Need help for Atom IDE sylas 6 3,438 Feb-28-2018, 09:47 AM