Python Forum
Exercises -- Who does them? Do they matter?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exercises -- Who does them? Do they matter?
I just have a question about python exercises?

1. Who does them?
2. Do they really matter to people?

I seem to get more experience from building things and learning from code.

I just want to see what people think. I'm trying to put things into perspective for myself.
When I start learning a new language, I usually follow with examples and exercises to get a feel for the language. After a while I only have to look up references to some of the more difficult concepts. For example: on this forum, after someone has solved their questions or are close, I will take their code and work with it. Just to see the different ways it can be done. I only program for a hobby, so I can take my time while learning.
I welcome all feedback.
The only dumb question, is one that doesn't get asked.
My Github
How to post code using bbtags

I think that at the beginning, they're quite important. They help you to develop problem solving skills and implement solutions using basic language features in a quite restricted context. The restricted context is quite important because as a beginning programmer, you should be focussing on those basic things without having to deal with extra complexities.

Later on, you may want to take a look at katas, which are still exercises, but with the aim of practising more advanced techniques (test-driven development (TDD), refactoring, ...). There are many lists, but this is one.

Even as a more experienced programmer, you still sometimes need to simplify. I'm learning about a new way of doing TDD at the moment and to do so, I'm building a very basic app (a todo list) with the techniques. The app is really quite simple, but that's again the point: to free me from extra complexity, while still being big enough to allow me to learn.
Exercises are a great way to start your journey into not just Python, but the world of any programming language. You solve these problems using your knowledge , if you don't know something, you lean about it through the exercise and the also help in testing your skills and seeing how advanced you are - you learn more and it is also quite a fun and interesting way for you to become advanced in the language. Later on, as you get more and more advanced you may not need them, but trust me, you got to use them in the beginning - they are very, very helpful
pyzyx3qwerty
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela
Need help on the forum? Visit help @ python forum
For learning more and more about python, visit Python docs
Definitely. Beginners often have issues because they spend too much time learning the theory than actually practicing what they have learnt. Remember, practice makes perfect.
Sometimes I don't know them and need help, but if I see it a second time, I normally understand it much better.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Python exercises InputOutput007 3 2,396 Jan-29-2021, 12:07 PM
Last Post: InputOutput007
  exercises gr3yali3n 3 2,239 May-06-2020, 08:48 AM
Last Post: pyzyx3qwerty
  small Python exercises darpInd 2 1,972 Feb-13-2020, 03:49 AM
Last Post: darpInd
  Does the integer implementation matter? ichabod801 2 1,806 Oct-22-2019, 03:26 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Anyone else here finding John Guttag book finger exercises hard to crack. pritesh 3 4,296 Feb-13-2018, 12:25 AM
Last Post: Larz60+