Python Forum
Extracting strings from an application
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extracting strings from an application
I need a bit of handholding to get me started on a project i need to do for work (non-programming work, but if i can do this it will help me a lot).

In short, I need to write a script which clicks through certain areas of a program and prints the string/value that it is pointed at.

What i actually need is a fair bit more complicated than that, but i just need a good starting point to jump on at and i can chase up any follow up issues later.

I have a very limited theory knowledge of programming and absolutely no practical knowledge, so i IMAGINE this to not be an incredibly difficult undertaking but i also won't be suprised if i'm completely wrong.

If anyone can at least point me in the right direction of where i need to look for this information then i would be very grateful.

thank you.
You need to be more specific about the type of documents:
  • list the type of documents that you need to do this with, for example:
    • web sites
    • Excel documents
    • Text documents
  • Quote:What i actually need is a fair bit more complicated than that
    How so (specifics)?
  • Quote:I have a very limited theory knowledge of programming and absolutely no practical knowledge, so i IMAGINE this to not be an incredibly difficult undertaking but i also won't be surprised if I'm completely wrong.
    Need above before commenting
  • Is this something that you might want to post as a job, on our jobs section (for compensation)?
Answer above, and proper advice can be given.
The software i need to extra data from is called OpenAccounts, it's a database program for payment procurement services that holds payment records and supplier information. Despite it being a database program, it doesn't offer any reasonable way to export the data i need to collect.

When i say what i need is compicated, i mean i need the script to analyse a cell in an excel table row, then search for that value in a column in openAccounts, open that search result, use the value in the next excel cell to do another search and open and so on until it gets to the last window where it then extracts the value i've pointed it at into the excel row it's been reading from, and then doing the exact same process with the next row, and so on until all the rows have been completed.

-"i have very limited theory knowledge"-
-"need above before commenting2
Im not sure what you mean by this. If you mean i should not have posted in this forum as such a beginner then i would be welcome to any suggestions on where else i should ask this question, as i haven't been able to find a beginner friendly programming forum myself.

Lastly, I don't beleive this belongs in the "Jobs" section as the decription is "Post here if you are recruiting Python programmers, or are a Python programmer looking for work." and i am not after either of these.

Thank you for your reply
Quote:When i say what i need is complicated, i mean i need the script to analyse a cell in an excel table row ...
Is this an actual spreadsheet on your computer, or spreadsheet page displayed in a web page.
This may seem like a trivial question, but the approach is entirely different depending on answer
(Jan-31-2019, 04:12 PM)Larz60+ Wrote:
Quote:When i say what i need is complicated, i mean i need the script to analyse a cell in an excel table row ...
Is this an actual spreadsheet on your computer, or spreadsheet page displayed in a web page. This may seem like a trivial question, but the approach is entirely different depending on answer

Right sorry, it's an excel spreadsheet.
well, the simple approach would be to save as csv, then you can edit with text editor.

To use with python, other than learning basic python, i'd also learn pandas.
that should be enough to do what you wish.

Python tutorial I recommend:
http://interactivepython.org/courselib/s...index.html
and/or
https://www.python-course.eu/python3_course.php

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to understand strings and lists of strings Konstantin23 2 696 Aug-06-2023, 11:42 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Splitting strings in list of strings jesse68 3 1,702 Mar-02-2022, 05:15 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  How to send data from a python application to an external application aditya_rajiv 1 2,130 Jul-26-2021, 06:00 AM
Last Post: ndc85430
Thumbs Down extracting data/strings from Word doc mikkelibsen 1 1,891 Feb-10-2021, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Finding multiple strings between the two same strings Slither 1 2,478 Jun-05-2019, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Yoriz
  lists, strings, and byte strings Skaperen 2 4,181 Mar-02-2018, 02:12 AM
Last Post: Skaperen