Python Forum
FTP not downloading files but showing success
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
FTP not downloading files but showing success
Hi,

I am new to python.....but have good Unix background.

I was trying to have ftp download a file from remote server to my local unix server.....

import ftplib
ftp = ftplib.FTP(some remote server)
ftp.login(uid,pass)
ftp.pwd()
ftp.cwd('/var/tmp')
ftp.dir()

ftp.retrlines('RETR somefile')

Now what is happening is, I am getting all the messages for dir listing, path etc... and finally am getting "226 file transfer successful".

But the directory where I ran the above code when checked, I didnt find the file downloaded there. Not sure what I have missed.

When I tried to check similar code on the net, found that some guys are opening a local file in write mode and downloading the contents of remote file in it. I find this unnecessary as why cant we just get the file in its entirety as we do in unix ftp session. Why should I be required to create a file at local server in write mode and then dump contents from remote file in it?

Please let me know if I have understood this correctly and please help.

Thanks,
PL
looking at docs, I think you do need to open a local file to write (i.e. the callback).

There is example with ftp.retrbinary
and for retrline the default callback is stdout

Quote:FTP.retrbinary(command, callback[, maxblocksize[, rest]])

Retrieve a file in binary transfer mode. command should be an appropriate RETR command: 'RETR filename'. The callback function is called for each block of data received, with a single string argument giving the data block. The optional maxblocksize argument specifies the maximum chunk size to read on the low-level socket object created to do the actual transfer (which will also be the largest size of the data blocks passed to callback). A reasonable default is chosen. rest means the same thing as in the transfercmd() method.

FTP.retrlines(command[, callback])

Retrieve a file or directory listing in ASCII transfer mode. command should be an appropriate RETR command (see retrbinary()) or a command such as LIST, NLST or MLSD (usually just the string 'LIST'). LIST retrieves a list of files and information about those files. NLST retrieves a list of file names. On some servers, MLSD retrieves a machine readable list of files and information about those files. The callback function is called for each line with a string argument containing the line with the trailing CRLF stripped. The default callback prints the line to sys.stdout.
Hmm thought so, Thanks dude!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Downloading time zone aware files, getting wrong files(by date))s tester_V 9 1,032 Jul-23-2023, 08:32 AM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Downloading images from webpages H84Gabor 2 1,887 Sep-29-2021, 05:39 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  how to import files in Google Collab wihout downloading them to PC and to Google Disk sveto4ka 9 3,889 Jun-03-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: sveto4ka
  Downloading And Saving Zip Files To A Particular Path Folder eddywinch82 2 2,561 Jan-06-2020, 07:56 PM
Last Post: eddywinch82
  Identifying string success flag graham23s 4 3,108 Aug-14-2019, 09:27 PM
Last Post: graham23s
  Downloading a module Xlsxwriter dan789 6 11,251 Jan-26-2019, 02:13 PM
Last Post: dan789
  Why does pyinstaller register success with py to exe, but? Pleiades 1 4,285 May-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Pleiades
  No success with PyInstaller j.crater 2 7,062 Mar-10-2018, 10:29 PM
Last Post: j.crater
  "if statement" and downloading a dataset Alberto 1 2,486 Jan-25-2018, 01:44 PM
Last Post: ka06059
  Downloading and using pyperclip PMPythonlearner 2 5,045 Dec-31-2017, 04:37 PM
Last Post: PMPythonlearner